58 steering coupling

huug

While my 348 is out of my 1958 chevy and gets a rebuild, I'm focussing on some other parts, and one of them is the steering coupling. I disassembled and cleaned it. Attached is a picture that shows all parts consisting it.

What I need right now is that dust boot, and also that o-ring and washer, but those are easier to get.
Does anyone know where I can buy (online) a replacement of this dust boot?

I've gone through this forum and did an extended search, but the only boots I came across where for the years 61 and 62-64. For example:

http://www.impalaparts.com/Store/product.php?productid=61SCES&CatId=

http://www.harmons.com/itemdetail.a...nger&subcategory=Steering Column And Firewall

Will they fit? Can I modify them so that they will fit? Or should I upgrade to a later year steering shaft coupling?

Thanks,

Huug

Attachments

• Steering_coupling_parts_2.jpg
    Steering_coupling_parts_2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 53

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
stearing parts

Got mine at Late Great Chevy before they were sold to Ekler's. They are now Classic Chevy, 1 800 456-1957. Mine was for a 59 Chevy, think they are the same.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Steering Coupler Seal

Huug and W Head: I don't know if they're the same either. Eckler's part number is 505083 1959-60 $ 16.99 Skip:)

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I went through this about 2 years ago restoring my 58 Brookwood. The 58 coupling is one of a kind as far as I was able to determine. 61-64 was the only dust boot available and it is close but not close enough to fit properly. I used it anyway by trimming off the bottom and fitting it into the housing but there was no way to retain it so it worked itself out. I don't think anyone is making the 58 boot but if anyone is it is probably Auto City Classic. When I do one of my other 58's I will probably just switch to the 61-64 coupling.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I too went thru this with my '58 Impala. Auto City didn't have any replacement so I ended up using the Flaming River joint and installing a 605 box :rolleyes: .

huug

Thanks, guys, for your replies.

That late great chevy site from Ecklers is a good source. They have a lot, nicely documented and at reasonable prices as far as I can judge. I ordered that 59 boot.

Oldskydog,
I have ordered that 64 boot before, And I've seen that it did not fit.

Huug