59 4 speed question

Roger M.

I'm looking at a 59 impala 348 280hp with a 4 speed. The engine has an FA Suffix which indicates a manual transmission. Are there any codes or identifiers that tells me if it had a 3 speed or 4 speed.
Thanks

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm looking at a 59 impala 348 280hp with a 4 speed. The engine has an FA Suffix which indicates a manual transmission. Are there any codes or identifiers that tells me if it had a 3 speed or 4 speed.
Thanks
No, only manual transmission.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Roger,
A lot of those 59's were ordered as 4 speeds but got shipped as 3 speeds because BW couldn't keep up. One thing you can look for is the backup light switch, feel on the top of the steering column , sometimes the person or dealer making the switch would either forget or not bother to remove that switch. If if was a factory 4 speed. That switch won't be there.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The hole in the floor is the other thing to check to see if its factory, the 4 speeds are very rare in 59. Date codes on transmission OK if original? Driveshaft would have been cut if it was a non OD 3 speed, not many things to check for originality. Pictures of a restoration showing that hole in the floor and the original 4 speed steering column (I am assuming this is a restored car).

Is it expensive- priced as a rare 4 speed?

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I also recall that 1959 4-speed cars have special seat track stops. This was due to the fact that the 59 T-10 was only drilled for the Corvette shifter location. So, if you had an Impala with the 4-speed, and you moved the seat up, you were probably going to have trouble with 2nd and 4th gears.
Ross