59 Apache power steering

alshotride

Supporting Member 1
I have the truck mentioned and would like to convert it to power steering and use a later model suspension. I have herd that a 71 and later Chevy PU front suspension and the steering set up will work for that. Any one have any input for me on this.
The truck has a 350 and 400 T.H. trans. Also disc brakes in front. I love the truck but would very much like to have power steering and better suspension.
Thanks for any advice .
Al

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Al,
I went through this when I was planning to upgrade the front suspension on my 58 fleetlside. I haven't done it yet but looked into it a lot. One popular conversion is a mustang II but I just have a problem putting F*** parts on my Chevy. Besides it is a truck not a car! The next most popular option is a Camaro/Nova subframe but it requires cutting up your frame and again do you want to put a car suspension on your truck. If you dont mind cutting and welding your frame then I would consider a late model chevy pickup front frame clip. You get PS, PDB, and modern available components. I did consider trying to bolt in the crossmember from a 72 up pickup but the frame would have to be tapered on the front rails to fit. A front frame clip from these years would work as well as the newer ones if you don't mind cutting your frame. There is an aftermarket bolt in kit but it is pricey.