59 El Camino - Looking for ride hieght measurements

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm getting ready to order coil over shocks for my '59 and want to double check a couple of measurements from the frame to the ground. The measurements I'm looking for are from the center of the front cross member to the ground. Just let me know if you have drop spindles (please). And the center of the rear most cross member (behind rear bumper) and the ground.

I took measurements before taking the car apart but didn't document where I took the measurements.

I'm not too concerned with the front, but I've changed out the rear axle to an independent rear and will need four shocks. I don't want to buy ones that are too tall.:think

Thanks in advance for your help! :cheers

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So I check the manual I have and while I found a lot of frame measurements, I didn't find ride height anywhere. If nothing else, I'll order the shorter shocks because I'd rather it sit lower than look like a roach sitting with the back side too high.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't have a 59 Assembly Manual, but I have a 60 and it should be the same. the problem is that I just got a new printer and can't seem to get the scanner to work. If I figure it out, I'll post it.
Basically , for model 1219, which I think is the V-8 el Camino, the dimension from the centerline of the front axle to the highest point of the front wheelwell is 27.53 " but there are adjustments for optional equipment, ie, -.12 for 348 engine.