6 spd in the chopper

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:cussBoy I hate it when you type out a long post and just before you finish you hit the wrong key and BINGO!!! YOU LOSE YOUR POST !!!:bang

Never mind,,,,,:bang

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
:cussBoy I hate it when you type out a long post and just before you finish you hit the wrong key and BINGO!!! YOU LOSE YOUR POST !!!:bang

That's why all my posts are short - Well, I type almost as fast as I txt !!!!

Bill

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:bang OK,,, so I'll try again,,,

A few months back my 5 spd trans in the chopper broke.
I contacted the shop where I bought all my parts and Mark said he was doubtfully that Ultima would warranty it as it was 5 years old.
I told him I didn't care as it only had 3k on it or so and that it took over a year and a half just to get it running.
Well after a few rounds of back and forth with Ultima and a nice email to them about how I always braged about how good their products were and how every part on my bike was from them and how i understood how they were proud of their parts and how I heard they back them up they let me send it back.
When they inspected it they sent me an email saying how it "looked like it went throught the ringer"!!
No Sh*it? When a gear breaks it DOES go through the ringer!!
My trans guy said even before he looked at it that it had to be a bad build from the factory to break with that few miles on it and NAILED it when he said "I bet the main shaft seal leaked from day one!" Yep,, it had!
He then said that means that the main bearing was installed wrong from the get go.
And when we pulled it from the bike he said he had NEVER seen a trans that bad even one with a ton of miles on it!
I explained that to Ultima and let it ride.
Well,,, last week I got the email saying the trans was on it`s way back to me and that they didn't feel it was a waranty issue.
Bummer,,, I emailed them and asked if it was coming back in the same shape i sent it and was a bit confused.
Well,, They said no,, it`s coming back with a new 6 speed gear set in my old case but they would not warranty the new rebuild because thay don't feel it was their mistake.
O,,well,, I got the trans back and it works just fine!!!

but,,, what the heck do you do with the six speed?:dunno

I took it for a long test ride out the freeway and to use 6th gear I would become airborn if i went that fast!!!:roll
At about 65 mph I'm just shifting to 5th!!!:D:roll:roll

And thats with street gears,,

Some day I'll have big enough balls to try and use the 6th gear!!!:eek:
I guess it`s a happy ending!!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Hey dq

Some day i'll have big enough balls to try 6th gear.

dq409 SISSY!!!!:evil :D 08-14-2010, 10:56 AM

SISSY

:roll HEE HEE

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Awhhhhh,,, but I was just joking!!!

120 Cubic inches and six speeds!!!:crazy
Shoot,, whith 5 speeds I could still go over 100 mph and have plenty of gearing left!!:eek:
now ,, with one more gear where does it run out of gear?:dunno

The winter plan is to lower the front pully a couple teeth, gain some un-needed lower end and have a closer high end gearing,,,:scratch

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

When that happens, press CTRL & Z. It will put it back there....

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7

Shoot,, whith 5 speeds I could still go over 100 mph and have plenty of gearing left!!:eek:

The winter plan is to lower the front pully a couple teeth, gain some un-needed lower end and have a closer high end gearing,,,:scratch

Jim, just because it will go 180 mph doesn't mean you have to go 180! 6TH gear is an overdrive.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Gearing

Is it better to change the front pulley on the engine or change to a larger rear sprocket on your rear wheel?:scratch You've probably figured the ratios. :doh I haven't messed with that stuff since i change the output gear on the tranny of my knuck a tooth to a higher ratio.

Later