60' challange.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Starting line tricks

I remember in the old funny car days, and this is true, a guy going up and looking at the lanes to see which one he wanted. He had lane choice. He looked at the left lane, and then went over to the right lane. Decided to go with the left lane. All was OK till the lights came down. The guy in the right lane went up in smoke instantly. Found out later, the first guy had a pocket of #8 bird shot, and dribbled it out in the right lane while looking at it. Couldn't see it in the dark. Had a small hole in his pants pocket, and let it dribble out his pants leg.

Worked well.

I have seen other tricks, too. Better not let them all out here, at least not before Clay City!

Fred

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Southern Ohio Fred.

Fred, If you are walking in my lane before the race and we see something dribbling out your pant leg , at your age it would not surprise me or the others one bit :rolleyes: However, I have heard that if you stare into one of those million candle spotlights just before you stage it will help you see the yellow lights better :eek: ! I will bring one for you. :evil

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Lane check

The main thing I'm looking for is to NOT see 1 red light. Ray is going to see 4 of them. TAIL LIGHTS. And, they are bright enough to see in daylight.
Thanks for the offer, Ray, but I have my own light. I'll have to try that trick here at home. Don't think it will work too well, though.
Think I will give Jared Kinnon a call and see about them using a flagman for this race. Only fair. Problem is, the guy that I knew that used to flag has passed away. Have to find another friend down there to flag us. I think a flagman is a lot more fun. They used to put on quite a show.
Ray, if we check the lanes before this race, wear soft soled shoes. They don't slip as easy on the little gravels on your lane!

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
HEE HEE !! Things are heating up I see!!

I ain`t taking any sides but this outa be good !!

Hay,,, anyone wanna get in on this? We could have a 60 ft shoot out !!!

HEY HEY HEY !!!!

I got a pumkin around here with 6:20 gears,,,,, might be eatin pretty good in Clay:brow ,,dq

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
6.14s

The new loose converter and 4.56s plus my sharper reaction time should make short work of Ole Southern Ohio Fred! Someone try and get a picture of Freds face at the 60' mark when a stock stroke auto tranny street car is ahead of him off the line. :eek:

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
fatride said:
Just got a .500 on the practice tree Fred!!! :brow

try that when you butts twitchin` and your foots shakin` and you have a freash engine you are trying to hear whats going on with it. Then add in trying to hold the car back against the stall speed and next thing you know ,,,, the lights green !!!

Good job though !!! heee heee

Just remember fat,,, if you want more stall speed heat the converter up really good in the back lot by holding your foot on the brake and one foot on the go peddle !!
You`ll gain 300 to 400 rpm in stall !! :D

Hope to get my trans brake this spring if things go better then they are now,,,PRAY for cooold weather,,dq

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I don't brake stall the converter Jim, I bring the engine against the converter and flash it on the green.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
NICE race.

I like that. That 60 got hammered pretty good.!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, I like that.:roll

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SS425HP said:
I like that. That 60 got hammered pretty good.!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, I like that.:roll

Fred

I think if he would have keep it from hopping it would have done a ton better.
That would be a great car to run against the Mustard car !!
I`d put by beans on the Mustard though. That`s one fast French`s !!!:bow
Besides,, It`s a blown 409 and faster then snot !!!!
One`s one of the high-lights of the Thunder Valley races !!

Attachments

• Mustard III.JPG
    Mustard III.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Mustard 409.JPG
    Mustard 409.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Resize of Mustard Launch best crop.jpg
    Resize of Mustard Launch best crop.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 39

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
60 Chevrolet

Jim, look again. That 60 is blown. Hard to see, but has a big blower scoop sticking out of the hood. He ran a good number, just took too long to get going.

Fred

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I know the Mustard II car ran in the eights. On his first pass at KCIR (Kansas City) it lifted the front wheels, as you might expect. But then the farther it went the higher it got. He must have been going 70 mph when he lifted off the throttle to bring it down. I don't know much about the engine except that it had a factory 409 block and factory 690/583 heads.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SS425HP said:
Jim, look again. That 60 is blown. Hard to see, but has a big blower scoop sticking out of the hood. He ran a good number, just took too long to get going.

Fred

OK,, But my point still stands,, it should have gone up once then landed and be gone !!

BUT, I`M NOT putting it down,, It looks like a fast and fun car to watch.
:cheers

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
too quiet

Ray's been way too quiet. He's up to something. We all better be watching our backs.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
fatride said:
I don't brake stall the converter Jim, I bring the engine against the converter and flash it on the green.

What ever Ray,,, You will still get a higher FLASH point if you listen to me,,,,

O Well,, I should be helping Fred but I don`t think he needs any !!:eek:

Just kiddin ray,,, try what I said and see if your time improves,,,dq