60 Chevy Master Cylinder help

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Can anyone help me locate a 1960 Impala original type master cylinder? The car has manual drum brakes and been sitting for 18 years in dry storage. The brake lines were dry and the master cylinder is full of rust.. I have been trying to locate a original style one without any luck. I would consider changing to power drum brakes if I could find an original setup to swap it out.

Thanks, Mick

impalaragpat

Well Known Member
Try your local parts stores first. You may be pleasantly surprised.
You will need wheel cylinders too. Had same situation with my 61. Ended up replacing wheel cyl, master cyl , brake hoses, hardware , and shoes.

Try this link, they have what you need if you cant find locally

http://www.autopart.com/

Pat

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Mick,
I'm guessing you are wanting the one with the little screw-on cap. Those can be tough to find. You might luck out at the parts store but I bet you'll get one with the bail (64-66). If you can't find a rebuilt 1960 unit, you can contact www.whitepost.com. They have a wheel cylinder and master cylinder rebuild service. They put a bronze sleeve in the cylinder. I'm not sure how much it is but we had all the wheel cylinders and the master rebuilt for a 1936 Buick we had at school and they worked perfect. They were in REALLY bad shape, too!! I would call them on prices because they've never returned any of my e-mails for price quites.
Ross

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mick, Pat is correct about needing wheel cyls. You have no chance using the ones on the car. They will have to be replaced. :)

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Kanter Auto Products In Boonton , NJ. has it for $85.00. They are on the web but I don't know how to post a link.
They have alot of old part for old cars.

Old School

Supporting Member 1
Thanks.... I did find one at Napa and it looks close... The car only has 26K miles and is entirely 100% original. I just didn't want to start putting a bunch of aftermarket parts on it... I think I will see what I can do about getting the stock master cylinder rebuilt..

It was in a car muesum in Ohio for 18 years. It was just parked and never moved. All the seals are dried, the brake lines are gooed up, The PG is leaking, there is about 10 gals of 18 year old gas in the tank. The original spare is in the trunk and the two rear tires are original and hold air.. .All hoses and belts are original.

Most of the repair stuff is hidden. fuel filter, fuel pump, brake hoses, wheel cylinders, gas tank, seals, but the master cylinder is right out in the open and I didn't want to make any obvious changes.

Mick

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As a side note.........you can go to a parts store and ask for a R and R on your old unit and they can send it out to a rebuilder like A1 Cardone in Pa. Done this many times at the shop. Usually cost the same as a over the counter rebuild plus shipping. Turn around is usually 7 to 10 days depending on where you are and where the rebuilder is. Hope this helps. Walt