600 P.S. KIT

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Anyone installed a shim kit in the 605 steering box ? Put a P.S. kit (Borgenson) in the 63 and all was good until last night anything above 50 mph and it wis real sensitive thought I was going in the ditch several times scared the crap outa me , glad no one was with me. Then I rememberd a post about this being a issue thought this might be the cure and how big of a task to install .

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I just sheet canned our 605 box as it did the same thing. Put in a new CP 500 box. Driving the with the new box was like night and day over that POS 605 box and I sold the 605 at the swap meet. Was a bolt on with no adapter plate, well worth the swap. My steering wheel was off but I just pulled it and re mounted it back straight again.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
OK got my new box today and took out my 600 box ,great I'll have this done in a few hrs. Oh hell NO new 500 box hits my radiator, aftermarket aluminum rad because my original had a tiny leak in it . old one is 2 1/4" wide and my alum. is 2 1/2" :mad6:angry2. Didn't think it would be a problem with the SBC .Looks like the shaft that goes from box to column is now to short allso ,Do I use my old rag joint and shaft? Got confused on the directions :gamer My Original rag joint hits frame allso, any help would be appreciated

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 327

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just wondering. Wha is so bad about a 605 box? My 64 has one. I have 2 800s... Just been looking at rebuilding the 605 but found a lot of bad on the 605.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just wondering. Wha is so bad about a 605 box? My 64 has one. I have 2 800s... Just been looking at rebuilding the 605 but found a lot of bad on the 605.
They have a lighter feel to them when turning. I've been ok with them . If I was buying new I wouldn't do the 605 but just remember the cpp500 will usually hit the radiator

Kaycee

Well Known Member
Yeah copy on a 3 row radiator hitting it even clips a stock 2 core but will work . My 605 was ok for awhile but it progressively got worse, it was fine under 50 mph or so but above that it was scary. Diving along and get a slight bounce in the car (bridge deck)a nd it would want to zip to one side or the other ,hard as hell to keep it under control with the real light steering..