605 Conversion

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Might as well take a look at converting since it's down to the frame anyway :D

My BelAir already has PS but I am thinking of upgrading to the 605 box.

I know I need

1. 605 box from late 70s to early 80s GP or Regal or Monte with rag joint
2. Mounting plate
3. Pump and hoses

What other items will I need? I read somewhere that I need to use a manual arm?

What about the hyd ram and stuff already there? Can I just remove ?

thanks

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tic-

You will only need to change the center drag link to a non-power steering drag link. 1963 - 1964 has to change over quite a bit more stuff, including the pitman arm, center drag link and idler arm.

I have a 605 conversion kit if you are interested. It has everything you need, including new center drag link, inner and outer tie rod ends and tie rod sleeves.

I was going to use it, but decided to use the original setup for now, Ronnie talked me into it.

PM me if you are interested.

Brian

pg409

Well Known Member
I only had to change to a 1962 manual drag link.
1963 pitman arm and idler works just fine.

moes409

Well Known Member
I bought a centerlink adapter from CPP that worked great. Just unscrew the existing PS valve and screw the new part on. I also used their universal joints instead of the rag to both help with hose clearence and I didn't like the side pressure put on the rag joint.:dunno

CPP classicperform.com Adapter #5864CLA $240.00

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
On the 605 box conversion is there any issue with radiator clearance or stock sway bar clearance?

:dunno

pg409

Well Known Member
The 605 Clears the rad fine and they supply two shims about 3/l6 thick
that go between the sway bar brackets and the frame. This clears the bar
without problems.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
cool. Next question. I have a pic of a manual and PS drag link and the only difference I see is that the control valve is on it. though you can mount it on the end.
Maybe I am just being dence but they seem to be the same and if you used another drag link it would have to have the same geometry or it would throw the tie rods off..dunno just wondering why.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mike-

I hope this answers your question.

The power steering center link has the ball stud for the pitman arm built within the control valve. The pressure from the fluid going through the control valve keeps the ball stud tight. If you remove the fluid pressure, you will have very sloppy steering and the possibility for the ball stud to come out of the control valve over time.
If you remove the control valve, you lose the ball stud.

They do make a part that replaces the control valve to use as if it were a standard center link, but is almost 300.00 for the part alone. It is much cheaper to go with a standard center link in my opinion.

Brian

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
that makes sense now. From the pic I could not see the end but the bulb on the end "looked" the same. So if you used a manual link, PS pitman and 605 alls good.

0bc4_1.jpg
Thanks!!