605 steering box conversion question

mikehd56

Supporting Member 1
Delet Rag Joint?

No modifications to the steering column are needed. I originally
shortened the original connecting shaft (rag joint to upper slip joint)
but that always bothered me, and as well the rag was on more of
an angle. Replaced with Flaming River bottom U joint and shaft which
fit into the upper slip joint. Works great!!!!
Borgeson also offer the same deal. Both companies list their stuff for
our particular conversion.

Keith

:scratch Keith, When you deleted the rag joint for the u-joint. Do you get any noise or vibration from the road when you run over pebbles etc.? Reason asking is I am at this stage with my project. Waiting for column to arrive. Then tackle shaft link. Rag joint came with 605 box kit from POL.

pg409

Well Known Member
Mike

You can get a regular u joint or a vibration damper u joint. The outfit I bought
the joint from (western Canada) said they sold mostly regular joints with no
complaints. It drives just a nice as before with no noises or vibrations. Ya gotta
remember our roads are probably not as good as yours. Both Borgeson and Flaming river offer the vibration joints as well.
Good luck!

Keith

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 605 requires an adaptor plate to be able to bolt it in. As far as the 12:1 AGR box I think you're confusing boxes. All 605's are something like 20:1, I think the AGR you are refering to is the "800" series, Chevelles, Camaros etc.
As far as the new Delphi, I did one awhile back, it turned out easy once we figured out what pieces to use. Actually the dephi 600 is the same bolt pattern and dimensions as the "800" series.
Since you have to replace your orig pwr strrng center link any way, this may be an option. With the Delphi 600 use the center link and pitman arm from a 68 chevelle, I don't remember if the tie rod ends were from the 1962 or from the chevelle, or they may be the same. I think all the parts were from the chevelle. Oh, yea the Delphi 600 will bolt up to the same adaptor plate that you use for the 605 conversion. What makes this conversion very tempting is the choice of ratios the Delphi 600 has to offer, 12.7:1, 14.7:1, 17:1 I believe.

Rubes

Thanx for the clarification. I wasn't sure if the AGR was a 605 box or not. I want something with a quicker ratio. I've heard of the Delphi box, but never saw one, at least not that I was payin attention too:yawn: I've heard of at least one guy that is having clearance issues with the radiator support after doing a conversion of this sort, but dont remember what box he was using. Thanx again for the input.
Rubes