605 steering & splash pan problem

gbafus

Well Known Member
I'm installing a 605 steering conversion on my '58 Biscayne. I've discovered that the new gearbox hits the splash pan located just in front of the cross member. It appears that I need to cut a notch about 2" by 4" into the sheet metal to allow the 605 to fit. I hate to "butcher" it. Any advice would be appreciated!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Splash pan in front of the cross member?

My 58 is bare between the cross member and the radiator-radiator support. The only problem I have seen is sometimes the forward end of the 605 can make contact with a wide (4 row) radiator tank or if the petcock is pointing towards the rear it may hit the 605.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
notch it

My friends 59 has the bottom apron that had to be notched for the 605 box. Most of the splash aprons got removed years ago, no real need for them. Remove the apron, cut out a cardboard version of it. Start fitting the cardboard to the 605 box. When it fits perfect, transfer the cuts to the metal version. Or take it off and put it away.

gbafus

Well Known Member
That bit of sheet metal is now outta there! Looks kinda naked down there now. Thanks for the advice. Now to get that 605 box bolted in there. It's kinda heavy to hold up there while I'm trying to get the bolts started.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Get out the grinder

Usually a few nubs or protrusions that will need to be removed.