'61 348 3x2BC Vacuum Secondaries Tank

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Small rod to hold the outer carbs open would work and look much better. No point to vacuum carbs that are modified incorrectly.

Grape

Small rod to hold the outer carbs open would work and look much better. No point to vacuum carbs that are modified incorrectly.
The carbs aren't modified except for a new check valve as opposed to the original one and aftermarket air cleaners. This is how the carbs came out of the factory boxes. This has been a drag car since the early 60s. The original owner purchased a ton of parts in the 60s that he included when he sold the car in 2013 including a brand new tri power setup. The secondaries work with the factory vacuum tank but not long enough to get down the quarter mile. Vacuum bleeds off through the slide valve too quickly. Yes it's dumb to try to make this work for drag racing but I can't help but try. I can easily hide another vacuum tank under the dash or in the trunk and tee the hose so I am also using the factory vac tank. There are plenty of tri power cars with mechanical linkage and for good reason. I just like to be different.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I would still like to see a picture of the check valve on the rear of the center carb base. You said the check valve had been replaced.

wristpin

Well Known Member
The tank holds vacuum for a long time when the engine is shut off so the check valve is working. It is leaking down quickly from somewhere at wide open throttle, either through the slide valve or the pod at the front. It seems like the system should hold the carbs wide open until you let off the gas and allow the slide valve to return to the top.

There is a hose running from the slide valve to the top of the front carb. I'm not sure what this one does. The other hose from the slide valve activates the pod at the front. I will get a vacuum gauge on there to see what is happening.
Perhaps there is a ruptured diaphram on carbs?

Grape

I would still like to see a picture of the check valve on the rear of the center carb base. You said the check valve had been replaced.
Yes, I just used a new brass check valve. Image attached. It holds vacuum in the tank for a long time after the engine is shut off. With all the vacuum in the big air tank I rigged up, it is easy to hear and feel where all the vacuum is bleeding off when the throttle is held wide open with engine off. It is leaking right out the side of the slide valve on the side of the center carb where the 2 screws hold it on to the mounting plate. With the big air tank for a vacuum source, It takes about 40 seconds for the vacuum to bleed off and secondaries to close. I have no idea if it is normal for the slide valve to leak vacuum or not.IMG_20170823_182602394.jpgIMG_20170823_183625100.jpg

Grape

I reluctantly disassembled the slide valve on the tri power and now understand how and why it leaks vacuum and there is no easy way around it. I block sanded the valve because there was a high spot on it but that made no difference.

The sliding "block" mechanism cannot be held tight enough to the face of the valve by the flat spring. I failed to take an image of this flat spring before reassembling the slide valve.

I did attach an image of the sliding "block" mechanism and how it has a nice gap where it leaks vacuum with the throttle wide open. A different type of flat spring could help this block stay tight to the slide valve. Outside of making a spring that functions properly, the only solution for drag racing with this original vacuum setup is a bigger vacuum tank than the original one but probably not as big as my air tank. I really don't want to risk breaking the tabs off the slide valve cover by taking it back apart so I will be hiding a bigger vacuum tank somewhere and hope to be competitive against James the next time I see him!

slidevalve1.jpg slidevalve2.jpg slidevalve3.jpg

Grape

Any chance you could seal the outside of that valve.
There really is no way to seal the slide valve.

There is a pin at the bottom of the slide valve with strong spring pressure. This pin is pushing upward on the sliding block at full throttle so the secondaries can close when you back off the throttle. The little flat spring that holds the sliding block against the slide valve can't overcome the spring pressure from the bottom and the gap is created for vacuum to escape. It is a really poor design for performance. I just need to find or fabricate a big vacuum tank to fit under the dash and I'm all set for wide open throttle for as long as I need it.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
How about some thin hard plastic.....I am thinking this stuff that I have seen in late model cars around electric connection in door panels....not sure what is but is thin and slick and most times white in color.
If you could make a gasket with this stuff to fit the housing that the slide rubs against if you get my drift.
It would slide easy and help it seal :dunno2