61 348 Crankcase Ventilation

I'm trying to troubleshoot oil dripping down the road draft tube after some "aggressive " driving. Did the 61 348 use a baffle inside the crankcase? In the small block, there was a beer can baffle or oil separator that connected to the road draft tube.

Thanks for the info. I suspect the baffle may not be installed, but before I pop the intake manifold, I want to be sure of what to expect. Seems like I have seen them in every Chevy motor before the mid sixties, but now that I'm in my mid sixties, I'm not sure of anything anymore.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the info. I suspect the baffle may not be installed, but before I pop the intake manifold, I want to be sure of what to expect. Seems like I have seen them in every Chevy motor before the mid sixties, but now that I'm in my mid sixties, I'm not sure of anything anymore.
If you pull the distributor our and stick your finger down the hole you should be able to feel the edge of the pan. It is cut away around the distributor hole. Also there is a rivet right there you should be able to feel.

Intake Baffle 1.jpgIntake Baffle 2.jpg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
If you pull the distributor our and stick your finger down the hole you should be able to feel the edge of the pan. It is cut away around the distributor hole. Also there is a rivet right there you should be able to feel.

View attachment 20442View attachment 20443
Hey Dan, What manifold is that shield off?
Just asking because the one on my tripower manifold does not have the louvres, just has drip holes?
Was it a later version?
409?

Thanks

Steve

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Dan, What manifold is that shield off?
Just asking because the one on my tripower manifold does not have the louvres, just has drip holes?
Was it a later version?
409?

Thanks

Steve
Steve, That is off of a 348 intake and exactly like the one on my 61' 3X2 intake.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How much oil dripping out the oil draft tube? They will always drool a little and smoke at times too.

Don

Don -
Not much oil, just enough to p** me off. No drips, just an oil smear on the floor within an hour of shutting it off, then no more oil. I have had a 348/305 horse and a 409/380 horse and not a drop ever from either of those two. The one in question is a 348/350 horse.

Although the responses above talk about the sheet metal baffle on the underside of the manifold, my question is about the round 2" or so round by 4" long tin can shaped thing bolted to the lifter gallery and connected to the road draft tube. In small blocks, it kept oil in the crankcase and let the blow by out the draft tube. I just don't know if the 348 used these.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I've not seen a place on my 348 block for the old "cannister" style oil breather I think youre talking about.It would require a hole about 1 in in dia.for it to plug into the block,and there isnt one.Just another place where then "W"engine is different.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
If you search the history within the forum, I remember someone converted a "W" manifold, Edelbrock ????? and put a small block can in it, I think it was a fair bit of work though.

Maybe have a troll through.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Don -
Not much oil, just enough to p** me off. No drips, just an oil smear on the floor within an hour of shutting it off, then no more oil. I have had a 348/305 horse and a 409/380 horse and not a drop ever from either of those two. The one in question is a 348/350 horse.

Although the responses above talk about the sheet metal baffle on the underside of the manifold, my question is about the round 2" or so round by 4" long tin can shaped thing bolted to the lifter gallery and connected to the road draft tube. In small blocks, it kept oil in the crankcase and let the blow by out the draft tube. I just don't know if the 348 used these.
The canister that your describing was only used on SBC. The plate that I posted a picture of is the baffle that the W engines use.
If you search the history within the forum, I remember someone converted a "W" manifold, Edelbrock ????? and put a small block can in it, I think it was a fair bit of work though.

Maybe have a troll through.
That was Dave Smith that did that on a Edelbrock intake because the baffle supplied with the Edlebrock intake is a POS.

This clears up my foggy memory. Thanks for the explanation. I had heard that the sheet metal baffle purpose in life was to keep oil off the underside of the exhaust crossover cast into the intake manifold and burning. So in the W motor the baffle must has two purposes - this one and to keep oil and blow by separated. The baffle in the W motor seems to be must have part in managing oil in the W motor.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This clears up my foggy memory. Thanks for the explanation. I had heard that the sheet metal baffle purpose in life was to keep oil off the underside of the exhaust crossover cast into the intake manifold and burning. So in the W motor the baffle must has two purposes - this one and to keep oil and blow by separated. The baffle in the W motor seems to be must have part in managing oil in the W motor.
Yep you got it now...:clap

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
largeport2x43.jpg

Hi Dan this image is in the for sale section, this is the same as what my one looks like. Seems there might have been two manufacturers????
Steve

mac1

Well Known Member
You might want to remove the RDT and clean it out. Sometime there's a large build-up of oil sludge in there. A little heat from the engine and drip drip. An endless cycle.