61 409 Block on Ebay

DaveN

Well Known Member
Did anyone see the 409 billed as a 62 409 the heads are K November dated 690s. But the block is G1361 date code July 13 61 a late 61 model year block It may have been held over for the 62 model year but intriguing. The price for the engine is steep though 14,000 plus.

62BillT

Well Known Member
That's pretty close to the cut-off date. I always wondered if the cut-off date was the same every year or did it fluctuate some?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Did anyone see the 409 billed as a 62 409 the heads are K November dated 690s. But the block is G1361 date code July 13 61 a late 61 model year block It may have been held over for the 62 model year but intriguing. The price for the engine is steep though 14,000 plus.
I think you need to buy this one also so you can sleep better at night!!!! :D

DaveN

Well Known Member
My 60 is a 3rd week of July car. wonder when the last 61 was produced. Do they have August cars or did they just run out the inventory and September the new model year was released Its weird the block is July and the heads are November.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I was thinking immediately was a 62 as the 623 version of 409(the original) wasnt cast past third week of April 61 as I recall. My 61 SS 409 was cast early(December) but dang it wasn’t early enough to be famous. Oh well mine was a non event non famous model! :(
Robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I assume that would be an "068" casting on the block? That's very early for the first 1962 castings. Earliest I've ever seen was "E 24 61" and it was an 068 casting...
Tom yes that is an early casting but I always “heard” that after they made the needed changes to the 623 block and came out with decent 690 heads the May-June period was good for 068 castings.
Too bad we can’t ask Fran.
Robert