61-409 old Race Block

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Taking the old 61 409 iron race engine in for sleeve.:think
I had this engine in the 61 for the final round at the Epping NH Hot Rod Reunion in 2015 the cars best was 9.41 @ 141 Mph with this block
but, the 4.86 were just too much gear and this engine was not able to handle that much RPM and it split number 5 cylinder wall :cussgoing to rebuild this engine for the 62 Biscayne since that engine has close to 200 runs on it:cool:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That's great performance out of an "old iron block" :) :) :).

Inserting the sleeve into a truck block is a bit more effort, you have to trim that area around the eyebrow after you press the sleeve in place. Just a bit of grinding :).

Out of curiosity, what was your RPM at the end of the track on that run?

Cheers!

TomK

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
How often should an engine be freshened up? I have many thousands of street miles and 150+ laps on my motor right now. It seems to be running as good if not better than when it was fresh. Am I on borrowed time? :dunno Sorry for the hi jack, but it kind of goes along the same thought.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
How often should an engine be freshened up? I have many thousands of street miles and 150+ laps on my motor right now. It seems to be running as good if not better than when it was fresh. Am I on borrowed time? :dunno Sorry for the hi jack, but it kind of goes along the same thought.
What's 150 Laps NASCAR ? not sure for your engine thou that's your gut feel:dunno2

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
That's great performance out of an "old iron block" :) :) :).

Inserting the sleeve into a truck block is a bit more effort, you have to trim that area around the eyebrow after you press the sleeve in place. Just a bit of grinding :).

Out of curiosity, what was your RPM at the end of the track on that run?

Cheers!

TomK
Tom,
This is a car block not a truck block. with the 4.86 gears I was shifting at 7400-7600 and cross the line at 7700ish

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Laps=runs, I just didn't know if there was a rule of thumb for a freshen up.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Grumpy said he found some power when he would hone the cylinders after the engine was run in.
You may be past that now.

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
i have no knowledge of building these engines. but is there really that much hp gain in the 7k rpms? i know if i tried that the whole
engine would be on the track in no bigger parts than a baseball. you guys have some huge hangy down things. jim

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
What is the current bore on all cylinder's??? When you sleeve the # 5 cylinder what will you end up with compared to the other's or will you sleeve all????

Dicey58

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
i have no knowledge of building these engines. but is there really that much hp gain in the 7k rpms? i know if i tried that the whole
engine would be on the track in no bigger parts than a baseball. you guys have some huge hangy down things. jim
"Hangy down things" LOL!!! You made my night, Jim!!:D

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Tom,
This is a car block not a truck block. with the 4.86 gears I was shifting at 7400-7600 and cross the line at 7700ish

Mom spelled forward or backwards,and upside down spells.............WOW!!!!!!!!

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cut the filter open and see whats in it. Run a magnetic drain plug (I bet you do) and see whats on it. If that looks good and your lash isn't changing, keep running it. With your engine and the rpm you turn, I wouldn't think of pulling the pan for a good 300 runs plus the street driving. I take mine apart for a freshen freshen and inspection roughly at 150 runs but, I could go much longer based on what I find. I'm just a nervous fellow.
As for what determines how long you can go, there are numerous factors such as:
Quality of parts
What RPM
weight of components
Type of rod material
Valve spring pressure
Compression
Type of rings
Etc.
A pro stock engine will go one weekend. A 10 second bracket car might go 400 runs.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Cut the filter open and see whats in it. Run a magnetic drain plug (I bet you do) and see whats on it. If that looks good and your lash isn't changing, keep running it. With your engine and the rpm you turn, I wouldn't think of pulling the pan for a good 300 runs plus the street driving. I take mine apart for a freshen freshen and inspection roughly at 150 runs but, I could go much longer based on what I find. I'm just a nervous fellow.
As for what determines how long you can go, there are numerous factors such as:
Quality of parts
What RPM
weight of components
Type of rod material
Valve spring pressure
Compression
Type of rings
Etc.
A pro stock engine will go one weekend. A 10 second bracket car might go 400 runs.
Yup I mainly don't trust my rods any more other then that the engine runs great!!

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Got my attention!! The way the header read I thought you were racing a 623 block and I'm thinking somebody's out of their mind. Thanks for posting the pictures
Tommy, that was exactly what I thought!! Racing a 623 block!!! Glad to learn otherwise.