'61 Bel Air Bubble Top?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Yep, she's a 1961 Belair Sport Coupe originally a 348 three-on-the-tree car from Tuscumbia, MO. Bought it off the original owners who raced it (and blew the 348 up). Came with a bent frame and all the glass, just in little teeny pieces. :)

1961 BA 348.jpg

They are rarer than the Impala Sport Coupes from 1961. Don't have the exact number on hand, but it was something less than 10,000 Belair bubbletops while the Impalas were more numerous at over 100,000. I'm guessing most were 6 cylinder or 283 powered cars. Not mine!

Still have it, just keeps getting shafted in terms of being prioritized...

Cheers! TomK

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
They are rarer than the Impala Sport Coupes from 1961. Don't have the exact number on hand, but it was something less than 10,000 Belair bubbletops while the Impalas were more numerous at over 100,000. I'm guessing most were 6 cylinder or 283 powered cars. Not mine!
According to the production totals, 1961 Belair sport coupe (V8 and L6) total was 17,151 and Impala sport coupe total (V8 and L6) was 150,351.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I was kinda close with my initial estimates. Somewhere I had this written down after a conversation with Verne. I might have been thinking the number of V8 builds out of those 17,151?

I wonder how many 1961 Belair Sport Coupes came from the factory with a 348? I bet not many :).

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
‘61 Bel Airs have an extremely rare hybrid carpet/rubber covering on the floor that is not reproduced and absolutely impossible to find NOS. Few years back I almost purchased what was probably the finest low mileage Survivor example in existence. Unfortunately, before I could make the purchase the creek rose up behind it’s garage and flooded the car. It’s still upsetting to think about . . . .

Well Known Member
Years back a friend was talking about a 1962 Impala Bubbletop. Yes it was just talk as there never was .

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Ah yes, I still remember my 1st Bubble top '61 when I was 15 years old. I was in the back seat boinking my 1st girlfriend, and looking up at the stars in the sky through the big rear glass window thinking, "can life get any better then this" :winner:winner:winner

wristpin

Well Known Member
Ah yes, I still remember my 1st Bubble top '61 when I was 15 years old. I was in the back seat boinking my 1st girlfriend, and looking up at the stars in the sky through the big rear glass window thinking, "can life get any better then this" :winner:winner:winner
Alone in the back seat thinking about boinking your first girlfriend....