61 Bel Air Sport coupe V8 or 6 ??

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Impalas with a 6 would have a sway bar. Had a 6cyl 3speed 63 Impala 2dr ht with a sway bar.
Ross

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tommy, memory wasn't good

I check my 60, 61, 65 6 cyl cars..... They all have v8 numbers on the cowl tags and 6cyl on the vin tag. Why???

If Fisher mad the tags generic for all bodies, who stamped the colors/options? The factory where they where built, I would suspect.

If so, why do these codes line up with the style (body) code?

If Fisher stamped the style code you would think these numbers would line up with the words "STYLE" and have a simular font/size/stamping.

All of my cars, the codes all match in style as if they where stamper at the same time. The discriptions all match in style as if they where stamper at the same time.:dunno

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I've done a little more research into the trim tag vs VIN tag question and I think I'm beginning to understand it a little better. If you look in the beginning section of any Fisher Body Manual it is explained although not in the exact detail we are looking for, ie what exactly is the meaning of the third digit on the trim tag. Note that the body number on the trim tag is called "Style" not "Model".
The VIN number is the "Model" number and the third digit does represent the engine installed as presented in the Model Number charts in all GM refence manuals and listed in Colvin's CBTN series publications. The "Style" number on the trim tag is just that, Style as in Biscayne, Bel Air, Impala etc. Fisher built one body for each style regardless of the engine configuration so the third digit in the "Style" number on the trim tag had a different meaning than the third digit on the "Model" number. Fisher used the third digit for their own purposes during body assembly and in some cases it represented a different trim level within the series as in the 67 Camaro standard interior versus the deluxe interior. In other years the interior differences were incorporated entirely in the "Trim" number so the third digit might represent the difference within a given series as in the 66-67 Chevelle 13 series with the third digit "8" representing the SS "Style" without regard to the engine, whereas the "Model" number on the VIN tag would be 13747 for 6cyl 2 dr HT or 13847 for V8 powered 2 dr HT. This information would be useful to the guys on the body assembly line who didn't have to be concerned about the engine. Each body was built to satisfy an order placed by the dealer or through GM's COPO office. This is all pretty well explained in the article I linked in my post under "GM Assembly Process":scratch