61 Chevy Belair (Bubble top) Project 4th. yr. into the journey update..

Marilynbubbletop

Well Known Member
:prayWell, here's another long awaited update on our 61 belair bubble top restoration.. Other than having to go back in to repair/section the oil pan, we're down to installing the interior kit from Ciadella and a much needed battery.. Can't wait for the engine to fire and be broken in.. Jim & Marilyn..

Attachments

• 61 belair bumpers & Trim 001.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 001.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 156
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 002.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 002.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 150
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 003.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 003.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 011.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 011.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 013.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 013.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 014.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 014.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 015.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 015.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 152
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 005.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 005.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 009.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 009.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 012.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 012.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 139

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Jim,
The 61 looks great! but that's not how the idler pulley works :scratch should look like this below
IMG_0318.JPG

Last edited:

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Yeah, really nice but hope you don't intend to run that idler pulley like that.

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Looks great. The pulley routing looked odd to me but we only have a 348 in our car so I have no idea how that's supposed to look. :)
Did you reuse your Bel Air quarter panel script or find a reproduction somewhere? My script is in descent shape but I might consider going new if they are available (and descent quality...). Thanks for posting pics of your progress....sure helps to motivate me with my project. I am trying to get our car done in time for the Fall cruising season. Around here we can cruise during the Fall, Winter and Spring and then have to usually put the car away during the summer months.

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Gorgeous 61...!! WOW! But, is it me or is the left front fender a slightly different shade of paint than the rest of the left side? Maybe just the light..
Absolutely beautiful car.

Denis

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Very nice, look's like a new one !!!!!You and i are at about the same stage of the build , it's nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!:dance1:dance1 Congrat's

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:)
:love:bow Wow, now that is one nice ride.... Did you purchase your interior kit from Ciadella's directly? How does it fit?. Great Car....

John Whigham

Beautiful car ! I know you must be very pleased. What manufacturers paint did you use on the motor? It all looks VERY nice, a big reminder of how far I have to go

Marilynbubbletop

Well Known Member
Thank you all for the nice compliments.. Now we might miss a few questions, but we'll try to address everyone in a nutshell..
The belt routing was absolutely necessary for clearance for the powersteering belt & pulley.. Summit Racing was offering a power steering kit that bolted right up.. If memory serves, a 605 box from CCP.. Now 3 yrs. into the build.. We had no clue that this powersteering box was 4 to 6" longer than the orignal one.. Everythings been mounted, sectioned and aligned.. This routing of the powersteering belt was absolutely the only way we could go at this point.. We also had to use a later model power steering pump (ps2) w/ a remote reservor, inline restrictor valve and it's good to go.. There's a nasty 62 belair bubble top running around that has the same exact setup and he's pushing nearly 600hp.. The pulley is holding up very well w/ no problems.. :~) The belair was inside the shop at the time i was grabbing photos.. I was in a shaded spot is all.. Rest assure the whole car is painted exactly the same.. :~) Its silver... Shadows everywhere.. :~) Ok, no the quarter panel belair emblem cannot be had and are not repopped.. These were found on a lonely 4 dr. belair that was just sitting in a field.. We polish the heck out them and then repainted the insert the factory colors.. Looks new huh ?? :~)
That engine paint is VHT Chevy orange.. Nothing special at all.. The prep was key here.. Yes, this stage of the build is super exciting.. We finally just received the bumpers last week.. :~) Yes, the interior kit is from Ciadella Interiors.. They had all the factory correct apholstery for the seats, door panels, rear parcel shelf, windlace and dash pads if so equiped.. Our had the factory padded dash pieces..
Ok, another update.. We are just about ready to install the apholstery kit.. We're down to needing a battery of all things too.. (Sheesh).. Can wait to finally fire up the 09 and hear music.. It's has been a long time coming.. Thank you all for the compliments.. If we have missed any questions, feel free to ask as.. :~) Jim & Marilyn..
PS.. Our oil pan was sectioned and repaired properly.. :~)

Attachments

• 61 belair bumpers & Trim 017.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 017.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 018.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 018.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 021.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 021.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 022.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 022.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 001.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 001.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 61 belair bumpers & Trim 015.jpg
    61 belair bumpers & Trim 015.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 57

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Only manual steering cars had the idler pulley. If your running power steering the idler needs to come off.

Delcotron Altinator & Idler.jpg

Marilynbubbletop

Well Known Member
No choice in the matter at this point.. The CCP 605 power steering box bolted right up to the frame alright, but never was there anything said about the steering box being 4 to 6" longer.. This was our only option w/ this power steering box and a type 2 power steering pump, regulating valve, external resevoir & special 4.25" power steering pulley.. Still at this point, i betcha if we're lucky, there's only about a 1.5" clearance after the belt has been tightened.. DO NOT USE THIS CCP POWER STEERING BOX w/ the 409 or 348 !! There's a nasty 62 belair running this same belt setup and he's pushing close to or over 550hp. w/ no problems.. Maybe after while we'll get the itch to replace the whole set up :~( Everything was sectioned to fitw/ or around this power steering box.. :~( On another note: I fired the engine up a few days ago.. The once mighty 409 roared to life instantly..
Broke in the new camshaft & lifters.. Only leak so far was some break in oil seeping out of the fuel pump.. That's rebuilt fuel pump.. I'll throw it through a few more heat and cool down cycles before our first drive attempt.. Chasing a few electrical ghost issues at the moment..

Attachments

• belair steering wheel 006.jpg
    belair steering wheel 006.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 43
  • belair steering wheel 010.jpg
    belair steering wheel 010.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 38
  • belair steering wheel 008.jpg
    belair steering wheel 008.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 39
  • belair steering wheel 011.jpg
    belair steering wheel 011.jpg