61 chevys

62BillT

Well Known Member
I agree. They seem to have made more 2-Dr HT's, but I would also say that the 2-Dr HT was more apt to be saved from going to the junk yard than the Sedan. Especially in the early years.

Someone probably has some production figures out there which would somewhat help determine.

Bill

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Some where...

I have those production numbers recorded somewhere, got them from Verne Frantz. For now, I can just hazard a guess. I think there were some 9686 V8 1961 Belair sport coupes made, along with some inline 6s. The 2 door sedan was rarer, with something like 5xxx made. Both are pretty limited production items. I like 'em both! Heck I even like the 1961 convertible BA that guy made :). I bet there weren't that many with the 348 in them, and probably none with a 409 cast with the 623 numerics.

The conversation last year over finding interior parts for the 2 door sedan was what sparked the initial interest. Was either on this Forum or over on Chevy Talk. I think I recall Pete Ciadelli noting that he could provide the interiors for the flat top sedan.

I'll look them up when I get to my office. Bet Cecil knows 'em. He'll correct me if I'm way off base. He's got a 1961 Flat top originally with a 348. I have one of the Sport Coupes that once had a 348 with three on the tree.

Best,
TomK

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Man, they're both neat cars. The '61 Impala 2-dr Sedan is neat in the fact that it is a one-year-only car. I've always liked obscure lil' things like that! I've also always kinda had a thing for '61 Bel Air Sport Coupes and personally think that a '61 Bel Air interior is a just a bit sharper-looking than a '62 Bel Air interior. I love the pattern on the '61 Bel Air's seats with the three thin stripes on the seats and the door panel design on them. The thinner side trim than the Impala and the simpler-looking four taillights really make for a nice looking car.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
You are so right Mark. My son & I (61belair348) really like the look of our '61. :DLook in my album to see our '61 or my son's album . Just need to get the '57 finished so we can tackle the '61.:pray

:crazy:cheers