61 front suspension ???????

BISCAYNE61

I am getting ready to freshing up the front suspension on my 61, the ball joints are bad so I figured might as well do the whole thing. I am leaving it stock who is the best supplier to purchase a rebuild kit through? Im on a budget..Also I have never replaced ball joints before is it a real pain?

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Biscayne61
Alot of front suspension stuff for our 61's is still available at your local auto parts store ..Check them out...I think Show Cars carries front rebuild kits also so try them. The front isn't too difficult BUT you will need a couple of "speciality tools" Some of the more progressive auto stores rent some specialty tools...Advance Auto comes to mind as one that does. A few minutes through the yellow pages will help.
One thing to remember is when putting it back together measure the distances on all the threaded items to ensure that they are "close" when it's back together. Remember you will need an alignment person after everything.:D
Robert

dgwar

Well Known Member
hard to beat the prices at advance too.. they might have to order the parts but it is next day

roger gunter

Supporting Member 1
Check with Phil Reed
I purchased everything for the front of my 61 from him, this summer
Had it in about 3-4 days
price was in line with everyone else
:cheers
Roger

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
front end

And most of all, take one part off at a time. As you remove a part, install the new one. That way you won't end up with a bunch of parts on the garage floor and not remembering where they went, Good luck.
BTY, make sure you mark the upper control arm rods

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
And most of all, take one part off at a time. As you remove a part, install the new one. That way you won't end up with a bunch of parts on the garage floor and not remembering where they went, Good luck.
BTY, make sure you mark the upper control arm rods
Biscayne
I forgot to mention that in my post:doh :doh :doh I think we have all had a pile of parts that have gotten turned around and there we sit:dunno :dunno :dunno
Robert

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
a solution!!

Biscayne
I forgot to mention that in my post:doh :doh :doh I think we have all had a pile of parts that have gotten turned around and there we sit:dunno :dunno :dunno
Robert

Robert:

That's why we have Assembly Manuals!!!!:clap :clap For someone restoring a car...or better yet, you got a car someone else took apart.....they are the best $20 you can spend on your project!!! Buy it.......go sit in the little room with the white seat......and when you come out 2 hours later.....you will be much smarter and WILL FEEL BETTER!!!!!!!!!:roll :roll

Rubes

I bought most of my parts from www.rockauto.com
They sell Moog and Spicer and most major brands and ship direct at low prices.

Here is a discount code ro RockAuto to try and help at least a little bit (-5%);

Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

Here's how to use it:

* Enter your code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart.
* If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Set" button to the right of the field.
* Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

**NOTE: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.**

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices, and there's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on March 27, 2007; so don't wait!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Robert:

That's why we have Assembly Manuals!!!!:clap :clap For someone restoring a car...or better yet, you got a car someone else took apart.....they are the best $20 you can spend on your project!!! Buy it.......go sit in the little room with the white seat......and when you come out 2 hours later.....you will be much smarter and WILL FEEL BETTER!!!!!!!!!:roll :roll

Phil: I am from the school of take it out of the box and wire it up or bolt it together....... Of course then if it doesn't start or work then look at the pictures or "yikes" read the text:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
bubbletop61
They are a large auto supply store chain. I would think that there are some on the "left coast" But I would suggest reviewing some of the posts to order from someone who knows what you need to ensure your job is successful. You don't want to plan on time under the car figuring out how it goes back together like some of us have done:D :D
Robert

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
Bubbletop1961-Who/where is Advance? Never heard of them, I'd like to check it out. Thanks.

Advanced auto parts. It a chain auto parts store. They sell TRW suspension parts. Im sure a local parts store could get you some TRW stuff if you like. The same chain that sponsers Cruz Pedregons funny car.

BISCAYNE61

Thanks

THANKS FOR THE CODE I APPRECIATE IT I WILLUSE IT.
Here is a discount code ro RockAuto to try and help at least a little bit (-5%);

Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

Here's how to use it:

* Enter your code in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart.
* If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Set" button to the right of the field.
* Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

**NOTE: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.**

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices, and there's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on March 27, 2007; so don't wait!