61 Impala Bucket seat trim

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had CARS custom build bucket seats for my 61 Impala using the original 61 Impala cloth and vinyle pattern material. I must say they really look nice, to bad GM didn't provide them in 61, but the seat trim has some pitting and needs to be replated or polished. Is anyone making the trim or is it possible to remove the pits? AZ409

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
What trim did you use ? Side trim off the 61 bench or 62 -up trim ??? Got any pics ? Thats gotta look cool.

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I used the 62 up trim, I'll post some pictures when its finished. AZ409

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Aluminum?

That trim piece is aluminum, is it not?

If so, you can strip the anodized surface (chemically or otherwise), then sand down the pits, assuming they are quite small. Gradually move from courser grits to finer ones, then polish on a wheel.

That is, if it is aluminum that has been anodized.

Hope that helps some!

Best,
TomK

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Those trim pieces are chrome plated steel. I would think that you could take them to any chrome plater and have them redone just like a bumper. My dad lives in Mesa and he had good luck with a plater/polisher in Mesa. Maybe Mesa Plating??? I can't remember the name. Best of luck!!
Ross

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Chrome over steel

Ross, thanks for corecting me. For some reason I was thinking they might be aluminum. Geez, and I even handled and polished them about a year ago. How quickly we forget!

Cheers,
TomK

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Tom, I too just learned that they were steel!! I have a spare bucket seat in my basement that I removed the trim from for a friend. Actually, if you ever get in a bind and you can't find any trim, look for some off of a same-vintage, full size pontiac. The bucket seat backs are the same as a Chevrolet but the seat bottoms are different. Trim swaps over. The Buicks (the "smaller" Buicks like a LeSabre I think the 225s are differant) are also the same but are a lot less common.
Ross

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks for the info....that explains why I couldn't remove the anodize. AZ409