'61 Impala Heater Core

Cory

Supporting Member 1
Hi. I am looking for a heater core for my '61 Chevy Impala Big Block. Does anyone know where I can get one or any info on the subject at all. Thanks.

~Cory~

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Cory,
I don't know if new ones are available, I don't think they are. If you have an old one, take it to a radiator shop and have them use the top and bottom tanks and make you a new one. That's what I did. Of course, radiator shops are becoming hard to find now, between the EPA and the plastic (or whatever they are made of) radiators, they've about all closed up around here.
Tommy

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Cory
Check with your local parts stores and see if they handle "Everco" products. I bought a new core for my 64 about 3 years ago. There might be a chance they would make one for a 61.
Ron

roaminchariot

Supporting Member 1
I couldn't find one back a couple of years ago when I needed it either. I bought one for a '62 that had similar output locations for the hose attachment but it was about 2? inches shorter overall. Put small plate across the gap and fiddled with the mounting screw locations and it turned out pretty good.

Found the receipt: Year One part number GM9053, "heater core B 1962 GM" Good Luck :)

bobs409

Administrator
You might also try radiator shops in your area. Im certain, with your old one to look at, they could make you one. I had one done years ago and it cost me $50.00 if I remember.

Cory

Supporting Member 1
Hello RomanChariot
Thank you for responding to my heater core inquiry, I have not been able to locate a 61 core.Would you be able to give me a few details of your 62 core modifications, to make it work. I found my car on Ebay, flew to michigan from NY, and had her shipped back.
my first car was a 61 Impala, and finally getting this solid number two Impala a dream come true.
Regards Cory Happy holidays to all

bubbletop61

Well Known Member
big block / small block core

Is there a difference between a big block heater core and a small block/6 cylinder type? Only thing I can think of that would be different is the hose connection sizers,buy I would doubt it...?

roaminchariot

Supporting Member 1
Hey Cory,

The new '61 heater core on the a-1 website looks good--I would buy that instead of tweaking a new '62 core to fit. Good luck with your car. I enjoy mine a lot--except when something breaks!

Corey

P.S. Let us know if the core works out well--good to know for future reference.

Cory

Supporting Member 1
61 heater core

Thank You, for all the help on my heater core issue, BBBAutomotive helped me get what I needed, not nos, or rebuilt but a replacement of the same dimensions,that will work,I have found that this part is pretty tough to come by,and in the eastern part of US, it is a must. While I am on the subject, does any one know If a water restrictor is necessary when installing this core
I have a big block Cory