61 impala ..tough to steer???

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
yeah it's manual but terribly hard to steer ........( ive had maunual steering cars before)..all brand new front end parts ...everything ,new steering box
just turns hard...ive disassembled everything bit by bit and tried it ,and it seems to come down to the front spindles
with nothing connected other than the balljoints ,the splindles( stock ) don't want to turn real easy,if i loosen the balljoints anymore it makes it better but then
there not installed properly ! oh yeah the front coils have been cut if that matters?,nothing is rubbing anywhere,they were also tough to turn with the old balljoints,also the passenger side moves easier than the drivers side? alignment is good

Last edited:

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Also cutting the coils/lowering changes the scrub radius. That can make it harder. Radial tires, that also can make it harder. I air to 40 lbs, it helps a little.

Reactions: 327

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
skinny on the front ....big on the back, its the spindles that dont turn easily that has me wondering ,even with the
jack stands on the A arms..

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I got rid of our manual box in the 90's with a 605 swap but even though the car drove nicer the 605 box (being rebuilt) was sloppy. So this year I managed to find a new CP 500 P/S box, did the install in July. Man does this car drive great now.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have 3 factory power steering 62’s. All of them were restored with new hoses, new cylinders, new control valves.
and restored factory power steering pumps. The factory steering boxes were also rebuilt.
2 of them are at least 15 years since restoration and they all still work great.
Paul

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
i need to do something .because i hate driving it.... after pouring a ton of loot into it

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
For about $800 I found and purchased a complete factory Power Steering for a friends 63 impala SS 327/300HP hardtop. You need a few factory PS mounting brackets and a PS center link plus the 4 new PS items I noted above.

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
i'd buy one....i want everything so i'm not looking for parts..i just need to be led in the right direction and not cobbling things together

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Having researched this many times for installing in my 62 impala - a 500 series or Borgerson 600 steering box(tried to install this steering box on my 62 impala) here are the costs.
You have to have this 500 series box with brackets and a new pump and hoses for a small block engine
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384772910498
$ 755 + at least $ 50 sales tax.

It clearly says you have to have a notched radiator like this install this 500 series box ( checked this many times ......)
$ 638 or maybe this one
for $ 645

Plus you need a rag joint like this (it says so on the for sale list)
$60

you probably need a steering shaft also from my experience since the stock steering shaft is too long (have the cut off the rag joint then you dont have splines to hook it to the new rag joint.
$ 82

you need 2 groove power steering pulley for your crankshaft like this to hook up the power steering belt to the pump ( I have this pulley on my factory power steering 1962 Chevy 327 and 2- 409s )
used pulley probably $ 80 (you might need a 3 groove lower pulley for the crankshaft

So a total of $1725 - with 7 % sales tax on everything except a used pulley.

I just sold everything to convert my friends 63 Impala manual steering to 63 factory power steering for $ 1200
this included $ 536 of new hoses, new control valve, new cylinder and including a new pump for $ 166
this includes all the factory power steering brackets to mount the factory power steering

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
i dont get it ,in order to put a 500 box in ,i need all that stuff ?
i already have a brand new custom 4 core rad..(doh)... can it at least be modified by a rad shop?
of course i need a pulley ,you mean i need a whole new steering shaft ? which then i understand wouldnt fit the rag joint
i feel lost

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
read the CCP 500 facts on the link (copied below) -
NOTCHED RADIATOR (11th Bullet below) -only way to avoid is to have measurements of the new steering box and
check with your radiator mounted in cars (CALL CCP and ask them......for measurements of the mounting bolts and the front of the

steering box to check the clearance VS ordering box and then it does not fit
OR check cost to modify your new radiator with a notch

• 100% brand new parts (nothing rebuilt)
  • No fabrication NEEDED! (bolts directly to frame rail)
  • 3-1/2" turns lock to lock
  • 11/16" pressure port and 5/8" return port (uses inverted flare fittings)
  • 3/4"-30 input shaft
  • Provides more header clearance than a 605 gearbox
  • Superior directional control
  • Better road feedback
  • Recirculating ball gears provide low friction and increased steering response (CPP engineered)
  • Open-centered, rotary-type valve (smooth operation throughout the steering range)
  • May require notched radiator
  • Uses a manual steering linkage (available separately)
Kit Includes:

• 500-Series™ gearbox
  • Brand new power steering pump
  • Brand new power steering pump housing and reservoir
  • Power steering hose kit
  • Small block engine power steering pump mounting brackets
  • Power steering filter kit

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have done this many times checking the costs and what is needed....to install in my 62 (I have new 500 series box - I am going to try in my 62 I purchased from a friend for a discount)

Read the comments on the new CCP box again
"Output shaft is 3/4-30, utilizes a factory manual steering steering pitman arm and the box is setup for flared fittings not o-ring."

"This kit will come with the 500-Series™ power steering gearbox, hose kit, pump and reservoir and engine mounting brackets. "You will need a power steering pulley and rag joint to fit your current belt configuration and steering column". "This kit also requires the use of a manual steering linkage and pitman arm, but if you are converting from manual steering, your original pitman arm will work. For original factory power assist cars, a manual steering linkage kit (#6164SLK) will be required."

**Kit doesn't include power steering pulley or rag joint coupler**

My Comments

The factory 1962 steering shaft has 16 spline shafts on both ends..........................
(It will not fit the 3/4-30 spline new steering output shaft.....you need a new rag joint to fit 3/4-30 spline....to fit the new steering box output shaft
And you need a new steering shaft to fit the new rag joint(to fit 3/4 - 30 spline output rag joint)with a 16 spline to fit the bottom of the factory steering column that is 16 spline (check length needed for the shaft.....................

You said you have a manual steering 62 so your center link (noted above) will work......

If you do not have dual lower pulleys on the crankshaft the power steering pump pulley to my knowledge will not line up plus you
need a pulley for the power steering pump(the pump does not come with a pump pulley
You also have to determine what power steering belt to buy to fit the pump and the crankshaft pulley.

Paul Stensland
I can take a phone call on this if needed.....I can send you my phone # by private message..

skaz

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
thanks been under the weather for 6wks,im going to probably buy the 500 box had the car out yesterday , maybe it;s just me and whining about manual steering ..thanks all

425/409ER

Well Known Member
i dont get it ,in order to put a 500 box in ,i need all that stuff ?
i already have a brand new custom 4 core rad..(doh)... can it at least be modified by a rad shop?
of course i need a pulley ,you mean i need a whole new steering shaft ? which then i understand wouldnt fit the rag joint
i feel lost
My 500 box cleared the 4 core radiator we have by about 3/8" but it worked.

Lt.FrankDrebin

Well Known Member
thanks been under the weather for 6wks,im going to probably buy the 500 box had the car out yesterday , maybe it;s just me and whining about manual steering ..thanks all
Go with a tried-and-true factory power steering system and stop horsing around with other systems that might not fit or work properly. Ridiculous that a radiator might have to be modified for power steering.