61 package tray

belair6162

Well Known Member
just installed a new package tray in the 61,and noticed when i closed the trunk lid that it popped loose. i remember the old one having some dryed up glue of some sort :doh wondering what i should use to glue it down again :dunno .
also when i went to throw the box it came in away, i found a package of padding in their too, now i'm not crazy,but i dont remember any padding under the old one,nor would i want to glue that to me new package tray. could use some advice on this one.
Thanks
Tom

dgwar

Well Known Member
the padding goes under the package tray as a noise barrier. it lays in. the front edge of the package tray is glued in along the edge where the rear seat goes...there should be a flap of loose material, glue that down with 3-m weatherstrip adhesive.
the rear edge of the package tray should slide under the moulding.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
3M adhesive

I used 3M adhesive on the flap mentioned previously.

The first replacement parcel tray I put in my new interior got a rather treatment when I first wet the car down while color sanding. Rear window leaked. The tray being cardboard with a little paint on top didn't like that water at all :(. It bubbled up on the spots where water hit. So I covered it with the same vinyl used on the side panels (had some left over and did the kick panels as well) figuring it would get more abuse later in life. Not stock, but definitely an improvement over the factory design... Now I can wipe my parcel tray down when it gets all dusty from driving around with the windows wide open :).

Cheers!
TomK

bubbletop1961

Well Known Member
I had to cut my new tray in 2 places To fit around the roll bars. You cant hardley call it one single piece anymore. And it looks like a@@. And mine sticks up to.:scratch. Ive thought of pulling it back out and glueing it just never got around to it.

belair6162

Well Known Member
Thanks for the advice, Don ,so your saying no glue along the rear edge where the package tray meets the glass ? that's where it's popping out, maybe after i put the padding down it will fit tighter under the molding :dunno

Tom

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
down under

Back of cardboard should slide under the rubber seal for the back window.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"that's where it's popping out, maybe after i put the padding down it will fit tighter under the molding"

There is a metal package tray, the cardboard goes on the top side of the metal package tray, the padding goes under the metal tray as a sound deadner. Don't try to install the padding between the metal tray and the cardboard.

Sounds like your problem is; you don't have the cardboard pushed back far enough, it shoud be pushed as far under the moulding as you can get it.

Hope this helps

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like your problem is; you don't have the cardboard pushed back far enough, it shoud be pushed as far under the moulding as you can get it.

Binggo...I think Tommy hit the nail on the head...:brow Another thing is if you do not get the package tray pushed back far enough but it works at first the sun will shrink it and it will start pooping up so, make sure it is pushed as far back under the molding as possible. Good luck