61' replacement block stamp

John Whigham

Would a block that had been replaced under warranty have been stamped with the original assembly date from the original block on the machine pad, would it have been left blank or would there been some other denotation for 61' non block VIN year?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The CE program didn't start until 68. Before that, complete replacement engines would have a typical assembly stamp but most were partial engines (shortblocks) or fitted blocks which would not be stamped.
Installing dealer might stamp depending on policy but it probably would not resemble an original stamp.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Most likely any stamp resembling the original was an attempt by an owner/builder trying to pass it off as original. I HIGHLY doubt any dealer ever stamped a block to match the one that was replaced.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
In the 1960's I worked at a couple of Chevy stores. When we would replace a block or short block no one ever even considered stamping the block. However it came out of the crate was how we installed it, did not matter, small block, six cylinder, 409 and even 396 and 427's. Even if there was a Chevy document spelling out something or how to do it we never re stamped anything. No one cared back then.
Just an FYI.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In the 1960's I worked at a couple of Chevy stores. When we would replace a block or short block no one ever even considered stamping the block. However it came out of the crate was how we installed it, did not matter, small block, six cylinder, 409 and even 396 and 427's. Even if there was a Chevy document spelling out something or how to do it we never re stamped anything. No one cared back then.
Just an FYI.

Exactly