62 283

garn3

Well Known Member
Please someone help.......I have a 62 283 rebuilt profesionally ( as i was told ) it came originally as a powerglide but i converted to a 4 spd. All stock nothing fancy. THis is basically a cruiser for me. It has a 327 cam in it, and a Edlebrock performer and a 550 edelbrick carb. My problem is going out of 1st gear. There is basically no power. I have to rev it up high a few times to get out of 1st. Once I am out everything is fine. Would it be the carb? I have no clue. Anybody experience the same problem? I am frustrated.

thanks

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I think a little more technical info on the engine would help.
A 327 cam does nothing to tell us what it is.
What gears are you running in the rear?
I would suspect that they are are a tad to high to launch your car correctly being that you swapped out a powerglide.
And as far as the carb goes you might not be getting the secondaries open on launch,,dq

garn3

Well Known Member
Hmmmmm never thought about that one. I was thinking about putting a P case anyway for a posi. What ratio do you recomend for me. This is for cruising but here and there a great launch would be nice.

Thanks

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
1st gear

What is your 4-speed first gear and what is your rear end ratio? If you have a rear end ratio of 3:08 are in the 2s and a high gear first gear (like 2:20), it will most likely stumble. You may just need to find a trans with a low first gear. Super T-10 trans have several low gear first gear.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You need 3:55's in the rear end and no more than a 500 cfm carb. You didn't say what cfm carb your running but if it is 650 or 700 and a 3:08 rear end the poor 283 can't function with those handicaps. If you open up a large carb on a small engine the vacuum drops to zero and fuel quits flowing. If you want a nice street car with good manners a reasonable rearend ratio of 3:55 and a small 4 barrell will give snappy performance and still give a good run at freeway speeds. Also check how the 4 barrel is working such as linkage, does it have vacuum secondaries, is the accelerator pump working properly? :deal Roy After I posted this I reread your original message and you said a 550 cfm carb which should be good.