62 409/409 dipstick

Jim Cation

I did my first oil change since I recently bought my 409. The shop manual and everything I have read said to put in 4 qts. plus 1 qt for the filter. I changed the filter too so I put in 5 qts.. However the oil just shows up on the tip of the dipstick, well below the add line. I thought maybe someone had switched the dipstick to an incorrect one so I purchased a new 409 dipstick from Ecklers. It came today and after switching them I found that the oil still just shows up on the tip????? The one that was in there had a pointed end and the new one has a flat, square end but both are showing that I am a qt or qt and a half low????? I haven't lost any oil and my first check was a couple hours after changing it. What could the problem be????? THANX JIM

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
5+1 on the 409 one quart less on the 348. But some of the truck 348s had 409 pans. Dipstick on the passenger side will take 5 quarts in the pan and one in the canister filter.

Jim Cation

Thanx!! I checked the dipstick and I have the correct one. I asked 6 old-timer friends and 3 said 4 + 1 and 3 said 5 + 1. I think you are right - 5 + 1.

Norm

Well Known Member
I finally drug my butt outta my recliner, went to garage, uncovered car & checked owner's manual to confirm my thoughts. As I thought, manual says crankcase holds 6 qts & add 1 qt for filter change. That's a total of 7 qts & if my memory is right, that's what I put in mine. I know that's a qt more than anyone hear says, but that's what manual says. Manual lists 6 cylinder as holding 5 qt plus 1 for filter & 283 & 327 as holding 4 qt plus 1 for filter.