62 409 ballast resistor

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does anyone have a picture of where the 62 balist resister goes and where the wires go as I bought a new harness and it's not making sense as they are different from my 63's. I got starter and heater figured out but need help with the 2 green in 1 then a single green and a tan. Also which plug goes to wipers? Thanks in advance

Reactions: 327

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How about these wires? Brand new harness for starter with a 409 and balist resistor but think it's screwy

Attachments

• 20230722_194938.jpg
    20230722_194938.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230722_194946.jpg
    20230722_194946.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: 327

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think they would go to the ballast. The green feeds the coil and the tan is feed from the switch.
Does this harness have wire for a tach?

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm not sure if it's for a tach or not but I know my 65 409 has tan wire fir the tach and believe my 63 does also but I didn't specify a tach just a 409 unless all 62 409 cars came with a tach. This is my 1st 62

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Having a little trouble remembering, is there another wire in that area with the connector like these wires?

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just the double green that I have hooked to the +of the coil, the loose tan wire and the single green wire. It has a blue wire for the oil pressure switch. Also the yellow wire in the picture which I plugged into the wiper motor but I don't think is correct either. The temperature sender wires are correct and correct plug end on it for my sending unit. Both of my 63's are a no brainer as the balist resistor has a pink wire with a connectors that are obvious they go to the resistor but it is like this harness is missing another single green for the resistor

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Ok so the green will be 12 volt bypass, that will be the two green wires at the coil. The single green will be the feed from the ballast to the coil and the tan will be switched 12 volt the will hook to the other side of the ballast.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok sounds good I just got it started without balist resistor hooked up and I left the tan wire unhooked and with the 2 green going to + of coil, car started but would shut off when i would let key off so I hooked up tan to positive of coil so now it runs and single green unhooked so I'm excited so now just go hook up the resistor and all is good. Thanks guys for the help. This car has been off the road when my son lost interest in it 8 years ago when my grand daughter was born so she's getting a new lease on life.

Attachments

• 20230722_173150.jpg
    20230722_173150.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 28

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey everyone, I’ve been having health issues and kinda fell off the planet for awhile, so haven’t been on the site for a while. Nice to take a break from all the MD stuff!

Anyhow, I have found the GM Assembly Manual to the single very best resource for my 63 409 Impala ( other than this great site, of course!) It has the answer to all of these wiring questions and almost everything I’ve needed - although I still can’t find the correct mounting location for the stupid ballast resistor.

If you don’t have the Assembly Manual, you have to get one - they are available many places - but if you don’t know it’s out there, you won’t have the benefit of first hand factory info. - even though there were a lot of running changes and variations. (even has the RHD sections for our friends down under).

I was a factory rep for three different import automakers and we never had anything so helpful.

Just another dose of my 2 cents worth…

Chip
63 Impala with the bench seat

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank you Paul for generously sharing your knowledge and experience- always very impressive,

Chip

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The car I'm working on is a 62, I have 2- 63 409 cars and wanted to make sure I got it in the right spot for a 62 and wiring colors are completely different from 62 to 63 but it's in and car is running and driving now just some body work. Today was it's 1st drive in a long time.

Attachments

• 20230806_124520.jpg
    20230806_124520.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 15