62 409 jiminy

jiminy

morning guys have some questions regarding my 62 impala SS suffix code stamped on the right is S287196? also stamped next to that is TO427QB if I'm correct the second code would be Towanda April 27 409 dual quad how can I tell the year? and what do the first numbers represent Thank's in advance for any help with this

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The first 7 numbers are the last of the VIN from the car that the engine came from
The first letter is "S" (St. Louis) was the assembly plant the car was built the last 6 are the consecutive sequence number

Last edited:

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
GM used the "QB" suffix in 62, 63 & 64. Your casting # will tell more. For 62 the last 3 are 068, 63's are 814 & 64's are 422.
The VIN will identify and match too a specific car.
Jeff

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
my 1962 QB engine is stamped with both the last 7 of the VIN and the engine build date from Towanda
If it did not have the partial VIN could be a replacement engine from the parts counter (they could be purchased for around $500 back in the day new)

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe replacement engines had no stamp at all, I'm still trying to make sense of a 63 car block that has has the build date stamp with the QG and the qg matches 340hp with glide the car came with no serial # stamp. Block is at machine shop so I can't post a pick of it.

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Interesting enough the Chevrolet P&A parts books from effective dates 1965 (1938-1964) and 1970 (1938-1966) do not show an 068 block available for complete engine, partial or block by itself however it does list the 422 and 814 blocks including a Z-11
I would think that if the engine was a partial or long block Towanda plant would stamp the assembly date on the pad

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
morning guys have some questions regarding my 62 impala SS suffix code stamped on the right is S287196? also stamped next to that is TO427QB if I'm correct the second code would be Towanda April 27 409 dual quad how can I tell the year? and what do the first numbers represent Thank's in advance for any help with this
I would believe your block will be cast in Jan of 62 some time? Block casting 3788068
And my may built 409 has vin for my car also