62 Bubbletop Laurel Green outside..... inside colour??

chevyjason

Well Known Member
Hey guys,
I'm wanting to find out if there is a paint colour \ name\ code for the inside of the car.
I can't find anything on the trim tag, except for the outside colour which is 905.
The interior is a darker green, also metallic.
The paint that is left inside is badly weathered so eye match may not be super accurate.
Any help would be great. Thank you.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There should be a trim code on cowl tag but, if not take off one of the inside moldings and the back side will have the unfaded original color. Post a picture of the cowl tag.

chevyjason

Well Known Member
Hey Dan,
Sorry mate, i'm no good at this pic thing. I keep getting pic to big coming up. I would like you to see it as it's been mis stamped a bit and is hard to decipher.
It has what appears to be 1 in the middle of chevrolet 1c' over the detroit
Style 62-1637
BODYVN 250
Trim 823
Paint 905
Acc 1 6
So i get 62 with a 6 cyl motor, green and green upholstry, Laurel green outside colour.
Bit lost with the rest, do you know what the other stampings might be?
Jason

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Jason,

62-1637 is a V8 Bel Air Sports Coupe, 6 Cyl would be 1537, check the tag inside your LH door this will indicate whether or not it was a factory V8 or L6.

The 1c is the build date my memory might be a bit out but I think it would be Jan 3rd week.

My interior colour is green also, but mine has been re painted at some stage, so I am not sure what exact colour it would be, but take Dan's advice re un-faded paint and get it matched.

cheers

chevyjason

Well Known Member
G'day Grub,
Well that really buggers things up. My vin is 21537Lxxxxxx.
6cyl Bel air sport coupe built in L.A. I checked the body tag and it says 1637 ??
The car appears to be very original and untouched and basically complete. I assumed it has the original engine \ trans etc. It still has most of the original paint and interior. It really looks to be never touched.
I will see if the wife can shrink the pic of the tag, but you can see it's never been off the car. It has exactly the same paint on it, and seems to have the bit of body sealer inside the rivets etc.
Does anyone have an idea if this is common?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Not sure about other years, but Fisher Body put only V8 cowl tags on all of the'61/ '62 Chevys built. The VIN number on the door post included the 6 or V8 model info. There are quite a few posts on this subject on this forum.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure about other years, but Fisher Body put only V8 cowl tags on all of the'61/ '62 Chevys built. The VIN number on the door post included the 6 or V8 model info. There are quite a few posts on this subject on this forum.
Leo is correct the cowl tag will always be stamped with the V8 code. The vin # will indicate L6 or V8. If your car has the 1537 on the vin it is a L6 car.

chevyjason

Well Known Member
Hey guys,
Thank you for all that info. I was a bit worried and beginning to think that somewhere down the line it had been tampered with.
I had already decided that i wanted to rebuild the car as factory, and had come to terms that it was a 6 cyl car and was to stay that way.
I will go with Dan's suggestion and match the inside colour from the underside of the parts. I have removed most and they are not too bad. Will post a pic of the tag soon as i can.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jason, post your pics on a hosting site like picturetrail or photobucket, when you post from there to here, it will automatically resize.

Don

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Jason,
I had 62 Impala that i restored years ago and the paint was 905 with 923 trim interior and yes the dash was a darker green, I have almost a full quart of the dark green lacquer paint for the dash and about half a gallon of the 905 lacquer paint you can have all of it you just pay for shipping witch am not sure how that would work shipping paint that far away?

mopar 348 (Small).jpgmopar 347 (Small).jpgmopar 349 (Small).jpg

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey guys,
Thank you for all that info. I was a bit worried and beginning to think that somewhere down the line it had been tampered with.
I had already decided that i wanted to rebuild the car as factory, and had come to terms that it was a 6 cyl car and was to stay that way.
I will go with Dan's suggestion and match the inside colour from the underside of the parts. I have removed most and they are not too bad. Will post a pic of the tag soon as i can.

Most Auto body supply stores have a photo eye that they can take a image of the paint color and then match. That is how I did my Bel Air. The dash and steering column are a darker color then the garnish moldings and steering wheel as seen in my pic. I used the lacquer like Brian suggests and then cleared the steering wheel only. If you do not clear the steering wheel the paint will wear. I did a very light hand rub on the lacquer to give it just a slight satin-semi gloss look.

Garnish Moldings Windshield.jpg

chevyjason

Well Known Member
Hey guys,
OK, i am on track with the pics....i think. I will post the pic of the tag first and if it works OK i will put up some of the car. I know it's a bit late but, well you know.

Attachments

• bubbletop tag.JPG
    bubbletop tag.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 13

chevyjason

Well Known Member
car.JPG
Ok, so this is how it looks today. Needs a couple of pans in the rear floor, rust around the wheel arches and some in one door. Most of the rest is not bad.
Just trying to not get carried away with the job. I really wanted to just tidy it up. It's not too many more steps away from a full strip down.