62? Floor shift steering column

Aqua 409

I bought this steering column thinking it was for a 63 SS and found out that the 63's have GM63 stamped by the signal switch lever hole. This column has no markings on it by the signal switch or on the mast. The connectors on the cable have been cut off. Does anyone know if the 62 & 64 columns have the date stamped on them. I think the 64's have a smaller diameter signal switch housing and wonder if the 62's are also have a smaller diameter than the 63's. Are there any other ways to tell what it is from. I suppose it could be from a 61 floor shift car.:dunno
Thanks Ralph

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The 62 has the turn signal switch near the middle of the column and is cable operated. If it is a 62 and you want to sell it let me know.

Bill

Aqua 409

Thanks Bill, doesn't look like anything has been attached to the mast and it does have what's left of the wires up at the switch. Sounds like it must be for a 64 Chev w/floor shift.

Ralph

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hey Ralph!!
If the turn signal housing has a 4" diameter, where the steering wheel meets, it's a 63 and earlier. The 64 had a 3 3/4" or so diameter. Also, the 64 column doesn't have the hole cut in the mast for the shift levers, if it were so equipped. The 63 and earlier columns used the same mast as the column shift steering columns.
Hope all is well!!
Ross

Aqua 409

Thanks Ross, it's a 3 3/4" housing without the shifter cutout for the shifter. Has to be a 64 then. Thanks for the note also.

Ralph