62 Frame Question

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have 2 impala's and 1 Biscayne, all 62. The 2 Impala's have a welded frame and the Biscayne has a solid boxed frame. I am building one car out of the three and wanted to know your opinions on which frame I should use.

Thanks for your input.
Brian

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
They are all in good condition. I didn't know if the solid box frame was better or more rare than the welded one.

rwagon57

Supporting Member 1
I heard this story last weekend regarding a full box section frame for a '55 Chevy. I don't know if its true or relevant to your frames.

Anyway the frame was constructed of what appeared to be box section (one piece) tubing rather than two stamped pieces that were overlapped and welded. Allegedly it was a CA frame, but the seller could not tell me why it was constructed that way, or why that made it a CA frame.

Here in NM sometimes there is a willingness to pay extra for CA only items like one-piece bumpers, and of course there is a ready supply of CA refugees willing to pay inflated prices for NM real estate.:roll :roll :roll

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Before giving an opinion to your question I need what you are going to use the car for.

The boxed frame will be stiffer and stand up better to hard driving.

The open frame will be lighter but more flexable.

Paul

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Before giving an opinion to your question I need what you are going to use the car for.

The boxed frame will be stiffer and stand up better to hard driving.

The open frame will be lighter but more flexable.

Paul

Paul-

Well, right now I am trying to make one car out of 3. 2 cars are running and will be put on Ebay once I get all of the parts off them that I want, and replaced with original.

I am currently investigating the build of a '66 327/300hp motor to make around 450. behind it will be an auto trans. If anyone has any recommendations for the build, please speak up!
The car is lowered with 2" drop spindles in the front and 2" springs in the rear. Air Ride system will come later... I also have 18" Coys C5's in the front and 20" in the rear. The interior will be stock Red with minor changes, Add factory A/C and a 63 center console. It will be painted House of Kolor White Prism Pearl.

This car will be for "Sunday" driving mostly, but I would also like to take it to the track on occasion and run it 1/4 mile.

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
brian.....

Wanna sell one of the frames locally?

Trade for ?

Mine is sure to have rust issues and I'm thinking ahead.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
brian.....

Wanna sell one of the frames locally?

Trade for ?

Mine is sure to have rust issues and I'm thinking ahead.

Wrench-

Unfortunately I cannot sell just the frame as they are running cars. 2 of them will be for sale shortly when I finish going through all of my parts to partially complete them. They are restore/parts cars. One is a 62 SS, original 327 or 409 car (long gone now), no cowl tag, no title and will have a 283/Powerglide in it. Still has the 3/8 fuel line, ballast resistor, tach hole and Posi, but I will be removing the Posi before i sell it! :) The other car is a 62 Biscayne with a 305/ TH350.
Both cars runs great.

If you want a restore/parts car, we can work something out.....

Brian