62 Hood adjustment

409 Willy

Supporting Member 1
My resto on the 62 Bel air sport Coupe went great except for the hood adjustment. The drivers side hood corner stays 1/2" above the fender. The passenger side and front of the hood is perfect, but the corner under the windshield stays up. I have tried every adjsutment possible, but it still sticks up about 1/2" above the fender. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix the problem?
Thaks,
409 Willy :takethat

bobs409

Administrator
After you shut the hood, can you push that corner down with your hands? If so, it's most likely a worn hinge or spring.

Best to just replace it but I was told of a trick that worked on my truck. Open hood, lightly loosen the hinge to fender bolts, then force the hood all the way open and tighten the bolts. This worked on my truck, it brought the back of the hood down and the hood sits ALOT better now.

Bob

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Getting the hindges adjusted right is a real pain. It's easier if you've got two people. In order to eliminate the same problem on my 62 I had to adjust the hindges in a way that seemed like it would make the problem worse rather than better. I can't remember how I did it exactly. I do remember that botoming the adjustment at both ends of the hindge left me with the same problem you've got. I had to raise one end. This preloaded the hindge in such a way that it would suck the hood right down nice and level. I wish I could be more specific. Maybe someone else can explain the proper procedure. By the way my hindges had quite a bit of play and they still ended up working great, after a few hours of adjustment. :rolleyes:

59Impala

another trick is to lube the pivot points. This has worked on quite a few, and its an easy fix that is often overlooked.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
409 Willy said:
My resto on the 62 Bel air sport Coupe went great except for the hood adjustment. The drivers side hood corner stays 1/2" above the fender. The passenger side and front of the hood is perfect, but the corner under the windshield stays up. I have tried every adjsutment possible, but it still sticks up about 1/2" above the fender. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix the problem?
Thaks,
409 Willy :takethat
I'm pretty sure you have to RAISE the rear of the spring. Seems wrong, I know, but that's how I got mine to lower.

Fred