62 Impala 409, 4 speed Red/Red, raced all of its life in or around central Alabama

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Edit: Edit: I was just able to track the car to who owned it the last 20 years, in McCalla, Alabama. He had passed away a couple of years ago and his nephew sold the car, 2 owners later it came to me.
The car was bought from somewhere between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, Alabama from the person who raced it in the 60's and 70's .

Edit: I am beyond elated, my whole plans for this car just changed! I started going over it this afternoon getting cowl tag and vin info, I noticed a couple of things not right. I verified it t had a factory tach with threaded holes in fenderwell. Then I noticed it had a 3/8 fuel line! I double checked below the cross flags emblem and didn’t see any holes, I looked inside the fender and to my surprise there were 2 holes with Bondo coming out! It is a factory 409 4 speed Red on Red Impala! It was made to look like a small block car! More pics attached.

I picked this up this weekend, it is a 327/Factory 4 Speed Impala. Car is Red/Red, looks like someone put another gold quarter on it a few years ago but never got around to painting. It has changed hands a couple of times over the years so I dont have any info on the original owner. It is a Central Alabama Car (Talladega, Hollis Crossroads, Delta area). It looks to have been a race car all of its life, note hood scoop (old roof bathroom vent I believe) and vents someone fabricated on hood. Didnt get a pic yet but it had a factory tach, holes are still in column where it was. For whatever reason, someone swapped the 4 speed for a 3 speed at some point. It has the factory 4 speed tunnel cut out but was modified to run the 3 speed. If anyone has pics of it or knows anything about, let me know.
I picked this up this weekend, it is a 327/Factory 4 Speed Impala. It has changed hands a couple of times over the years so I dont have any info on the original owner. It is a Central Alabama (Talladega, Hollis Crossroads area) car. It looks to have been a race car all of its life, note hood scoop and vents someone fabricated on hood. Didnt get a pic yet but it had a factory tach, holes are still in column where it was. For whatever reason, someone swapped the 4 speed for a 3 speed at some point. It has the factory 4 speed tunnel cut out but was modified to run the 3 speed. If anyone has pics of it or knows anything about, let me know.
The body and every panel is completely rusted out except the roof which is perfect, what glass there is in good shape.

39352Bought Grayson Rentz Roanoke AL 334-646-9557.jpg392027831_24012191985062829_8186708754122763262_n.jpg392429224_7449378431756466_1054897453665044302_n.jpgrs s377705116_6767649179992716_617264523586138790_n.jpgIMG_8544.JPGIMG_8540.JPG
IMG_8531.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8529.JPG
    IMG_8529.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8642.jpeg
    IMG_8642.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8568.jpeg
    IMG_8568.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Got some pics last night, scoop is hand fabricated not from oil pan, has a ridge down middle, nice work on it.

Attachments

• IMG_8580.JPG
    IMG_8580.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8578.JPG
    IMG_8578.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8575.JPG
    IMG_8575.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
So with that complete roof you won't have to straighten any posts on the white 62. You can go down to the attachment area on front posts and separate there.

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Don, That is what I am hoping, I was just fixing to follow up on my old post, I cant find any videos of removing the complete roofs on these or most any other GM cars for that matter. I have an idea how to do it, Would be nice to see a video of someone else doing it. If anyone knows of videos or assembly details for the body, let me know. I looked thru my assembly manual but it didnt go into the sheetmetal part of body assembly. With regards to where the spot welds are on the front posts, would it be better to melt out the lead and drill the spot welds at the sail panel or just cut it off somewhere and replace. Guess I can experiment on the smashed roof first if I have to, then can remove this one clean. For those that dont know, I picked up this 62 SS a couple of years ago, it had sat under a carport since 1985 until a tree limb fell on the carport and crushed the roof in. I plan on using the 4 speed column, pedals , etc .. to convert the SS to 4 speed, I will be putting a 409 in it also. Thanks, Harley

IMG_4707 (2).JPG

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Don, That is what I am hoping, I was just fixing to follow up on my old post, I cant find any videos of removing the complete roofs on these or most any other GM cars for that matter. I have an idea how to do it, Would be nice to see a video of someone else doing it. If anyone knows of videos or assembly details for the body, let me know. I looked thru my assembly manual but it didnt go into the sheetmetal part of body assembly. With regards to where the spot welds are on the front posts, would it be better to melt out the lead and drill the spot welds at the sail panel or just cut it off somewhere and replace. Guess I can experiment on the smashed roof first if I have to, then can remove this one clean. For those that dont know, I picked up this 62 SS a couple of years ago, it had sat under a carport since 1985 until a tree limb fell on the carport and crushed the roof in. I plan on using the 4 speed column, pedals , etc .. to convert the SS to 4 speed, I will be putting a 409 in it also. Thanks, Harley

View attachment 137487
I was thinking at one time someone showed how to separate posts on these cars somewhere. Thinking it was just spot welds where post lays down. Should not be to hard to figure out on front by just getting to it. The back I am thinking is more involved.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Maybe Paul (pvs409) might be able to help you on that since he done several 62 cars.

bobs409

Administrator
I was referring to the red one. After seeing the white one, maybe that red one would look good again!

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
Vin # , does anyone know how to track these or go thru DMV and find original owners names?

Attachments

• IMG_8622.JPG
    IMG_8622.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 7

heddrik

Well Known Member
Awesome. Rest of my family is in Panama City, Fl, used to fly into MGM airport. Disn t know if you wanted to replace the entire roof?? Not put a bubble on it, just swap 2 dr hardtop roof onto a 2 dr hardtop. Great history on the red car.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Maybe Paul (pvs409) might be able to help you on that since he done several 62 cars.
bubble top roof on Impala or Impala on Impala -
I have not done this work

check this link -the top of the rear 1/4 panel looks to be removed with the top to align the roof

Paul