62 Impala disc brake conversion

62 Impala 4dr

have installed Mike Garcia's disc brake conversion kit. Using a 8" dual booster, corvette shallow m/c, chevy style prop valve. The problem now is the front disc brake lock up and won't release unless I push back the caliper by hand. the outboard pads are worn down by half inboards look good. I have installed new pads also. Any help on what to do would be great.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No wear on the inboard pads? The caliper body would have to be stuck to do this in my mind as the piston pushing is what puts pressure on the outboard pads and force is equal on both sides, at least that's how it's supposed to be.
But first, does the caliper release as I asked above?
Doing this on both sides? If both sides I would doubt the calipers are the problem which would point back to the hydraulic system
Did you install any residual pressure valves in this system?

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Important to answer if caliper releases when you crack open the hose or bleeder.

Secondly, maybe you think the outboards are worn more because this pad set comes as designed with a thinner outboard pad. Straight out of the box the outer pad is about an 1/8 inch thinner, maybe a little more.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Did calipers slide into position and rotor would rotate when you first installed before you bled calipers?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The calipers normally come with the piston pushed all the way into the caliper body, when you first install, the caliper should slide down into place fairly easily. Turning the rotor at this point is fairly easy as the pads are probably not touching or may have a very slight rub. There will be some resistance to rotating due to the grease seal but an experienced hand can tell the difference between this and if something is actually binding. Then when you bleed the calipers the piston moves out to take up any gap, of course pressing the pedal will not allow the rotors to turn by hand. Release the pedal and the pistons releases pressure ever so slightly, it will not move inward enough to create a gap again but just enough to allow you to turn rotor by hand. Resistance will be felt but not enough to cause alarm.
I am wondering if you saw the thinner outer pad after driving it some and panicked and thought you wore out the outer pad? It comes this way out of the box.
With the wheels/tires installed you can turn the wheel a little easier but some (small amount) of resistance can still be noticed.
If the outer pads actually wore after only 200 miles the rotors would be blued from heat(probably smoking too) and the car would probably come to a stop on it's own.

62 Impala 4dr

here's a pictures of old and new out board pad and passenger side caliper

Attachments

• 20190603_173856_resized.jpg
    20190603_173856_resized.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190603_173952_resized.jpg
    20190603_173952_resized.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20190603_174013_resized.jpg
    20190603_174013_resized.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 29

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looks worn. The outer pad is .300" thick and the inner is .410" thick when new. However much your outer pad is worn the inner should be worn that also. Is this the same on both calipers/pads?
Since you said the caliper will move back and forth it's not stuck on the slide pins. The only way to get wear on that outer pad is to have the piston pushing on it. You have a hydraulic issue at the master or booster. Front pin too long will apply pressure, and rod to pedal adjusted to tight will do same. You should have 1/4" freeplay at the rod to pedal adjustment. .030" clearance between front pin and master. By chance did you notice the brake lights staying on after releasing the pedal? There are a lot of those boosters that are bad and will continually push on the master.
The only other remote possibility is if the brake hose is collapsed, not releasing pressure to caliper.