62 impala hood hinges

Randy Maurstad

Well Known Member
when i close my hood, all fit pretty good except the rear corners stick up about 1/4-3/8"... I can push them down to make the hood flush. I assume that the hinges are worn and are sloppy .. Right assumption ?....If the hinges are basically worn out, I dont find any reproduction ones for a 62. Anyone heard of any, or if not not can these hinges be rebuilt somehow?

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Try soaking the moving parts good with something like WD-40 or CRC. This should help, if not, you may need to adjust them.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Even brand new hindges are a little loose. You can get the hood to close right by playing with the adjustment untill you get the proper amount of preload. This will take up the slack in the pins. It's a tedious job and it's easier if you've got another person to open and shut the hood while you do the adjustments. When I first got my 62 the hood worked the same way yours does, you had to push the back corners down. But after about an hours worth of adjustment it closed great. One thing that I do remember is that in order to get it to work properly I had to adjust the hindges in the direction that was the opposite of the way you'd think it should be.:scratch

bobs409

Administrator
Here's a trick I learned on a truck forum on this.

Loosen the bolts where the hinge meets the fender. (just lightly loosen, not too much) Then, firmly push up on the hood as if opening it all the way. Then tighten the bolts.

It worked on my 69 stepside and my 66 Chevelle! :clap