62 impala horns

Randy Maurstad

Well Known Member
Im having a problem with the horns on my 62 impala..they were inactive for about 15years, in case thats the reason...one works fine the other just has a weak, low volume sound...are these horns rebuildable?. I assume there are some contacts inside, do I need a kit?, anyone rebuild their horns before... or does anyone know of a place that restores horns?.... thanks...

bobs409

Administrator
I don't think they can be serviced. Easier to just replace a bad one.

I suggest you remove the horns, clean the area where it makes contact with the rad support with sand paper, then bolt back on and try it. A bad ground might be causing the problem.

If that doesn't work, give it a sharp whack or two with a hammer on the center where the bracket attaches to the horn. This method got many of old horns working for me! :D

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Randy - I had the same issue on my 63'. I sprayed some w-40 inside the horn and tried my best to work it into the center. Hook it back up and honk the horn a couple of times. I guess that the contact inside the horn get corroded and the wd-40 helps to clean the contacts. Worked on mine and have had no issues.

TomO

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I have a few 62 horns in the garage.
You send the money for shipping costs and I will give you the horns for free.
I will even test them first. just to make sure the horns work.

Todd

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Some of the old horns had a "pitch tuning" screw. Don`t know if the 62`s had them.

If it does try this.

This screw had a lock nut with the screw in the middle.

Slight wack like Bob says and a bit of spray down the horn not too much and then back the nut off a bit and turn the screw in a bit then back out a bit. remember where you start as that is the tuned location.

Test the horn.
Sometimes doing this while it honks also helps. PLUG YOUR EARS !!:D ,,dq