62 Impala SS 409 at Mecum in Houston

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Unobtanium!!!!!!!!! And prices like that I don’t see me ever owning one :confused not saying it ain’t worth it! And everybody knows about the fees for the auction house so I would say they probably played at least $80,000 for it...

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Advertised as matching numbers car with paperwork, not many 409 cars can make that claim. Id say that adds 15 to 20k to the value
Or, it could have been one of Dana's cars in which case you don't know if it really sold or not.

It would have to be an original documented car in my mind. I don't like when they say numbers matching engine, if it's original say so, when they don't I'd say it isn't. However a replaced engine in a original 409 car is better then a clone.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got a question...how does one tell what motor came in a car when the id says it's a factory V8...how does one know whether it's a small block vs. a big block...

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Cowltag indicates that was a V-8 but is there anyway to determine what V8 came with the car

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Unless it is a CE code which would be a factory replacement engine. And there would be no serial number digits on it matching the vin. When you blow in original engine up and take it back to the dealer they replace it with a CE code. CRATE ENGINE. There were a lot of big block Chevy‘s and Corvette’s Chevelle’s and Camaro's who were run hard and blown up and replaced with this type engine. Although I’m not sure if the x-frame cars used that or if it came in later with a big block Chevy’s.

Last edited:

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I didn’t see a pad stamping in the photos. Maybe there is one. The ad says “correct “ engine casting, which to me, does not equate to “original “ engine. Nonetheless. A good price for a car with the right color combination and a good deal of originality I.e. interior and owner paperwork.

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Let’s see . . .
-original selling dealership in Gary, Indiana
-currently in Texas
-mostly original paint
-padded dash
-door edge molding
-vintage SW gauge placement

I can say with almost 100% certainty that this was/is the famous Ziggy’s 409 car also known as Kopanski’s Killer. It’s a shame it was restored but it is what it is. One of my favorite 409 cars of all time when it was still in its as-raced form . . . and I’ve been around a lot of them!

Last edited: