62 one peice rear bumper

chevyjason

Well Known Member
Hi There,
Does anyone know what cars came fitted with the one peice bumpers. I have a car with a one peice at the rear and three peice at the front. The numbers say the car was built in Cal. Are they hard to find? ( i'm either looking for a front one or selling my rear one) Thanks.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
the one peice bumpers were on Ca. built cars. You can find them but they are fairly expensive.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Three peice bumpers were for California only.

My error folks. Didn't go to the little boys room to clear my mind, before sending the first reply.

Dick & Real61SS are correct.

ONE PEICE BUMPER WAS CALIFORNIA ONLY.

Dave

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
62 One Piece Bumper

California bumpers are one piece...someone told me awhile back it was due to insurance companies...less damage ???

Rusty Everitt

Supporting Member 1
62 One Piece Bumper

Chevyjason, a guy named Boris had a pair for a 62 about 6 months ago, you might give him a call, as I remember they were a little pricey. 216-789-1647

62 Dave

just for the sake of accuracy, Not all California 62 Chevys had one piece bumpers.
My original paint, original bumper, "L" BelAir has 3- Piece units
Dave E

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
3 pieces for me

My '62 with the "VN" (Van Nuys) on the cowl tag came to me (in 2001) with three piece bumpers, but who knows what the original owner of 40 plus years did to the originals, and if they were in fact one piece units?

Cheers!
TomK

Rubes

Can 3 piece bumpers be replaced with a one piece without changing brackets, or did the one piece use different mounting brackets and holes as well?

I have a 61 Impala and my 3 pieces need chrome and repair. I found a set of done 1 piece ones local for what I would expect to pay for rechroming only.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Don't buy a one piece bumper without the original brackets!!!!!

They are different than two piece brackets and will not interchange. It's a lot easier finding the bumpers than it is finding the brackets.

biscaynewagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
speaking of bumpers, FYI all my canadian built cars, the 58 and 61 also has one piece bumpers (on the front) but has 3 pieces in the back (is it because they're wagons?) but my 62 wagon that i just sold has 3 piece front and back bumpers :dunno

and, those 1 piece bumpers cars will they always been a built california cars and applicable / ruled for our 1958 to 1964 vehicle ? or just certain year only?

Thanks, and YES, I do need a bumper lesson :scratch :p

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Most if not all Calif built chevys from at least 1955 till mid 60's had 1 pc bumpers. Same for 1955 to 57 cars had the "1 pc" frame (Daytona) Not due to any insurance reasons though. GM utilized various OEM suppliers closer to their factories. Calif supplier made them in this fashion.
That 1 pc is worth at least 4 times as much as a 3 piece.

58impala

Well Known Member
I just this week have replaced my rear one piece bumper in order to install a continential kit. I had to purchase two outer bumper pieces to go along with the kit which replaces the center bumper section. The one piece bumper had two brackets welded on when it was made that fit the rear frame crossmember brackets. The three piece bumpers fit right up to the frame cross member brackets without modification. The outer braces are the same....two on each side where the chrome head bolts fit. What I'm trying to say is both bumpers fit the same without additional brackets. Now the front bumper may be different, I can't say. My 58 has a one piece bumper on the front, as well, but I don't have anything to compare it too. Anyone needing a nice rechromed one piece rear bumper, I'll sell mine.

AZ409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am in the process of restoring my 61 one piece bumpers, I also have a set of 3 piece . The one piece front bumper has a 6 foot large center surport bean that runs behind the bumper. The beam is connected to the bumper at each side of the bumper filler and also has 2 dog leg supports. I have one extra support beam but I don't have the attaching supports. I also have a good driver set of front and rear 3 piece with all brackets if anyone is interested. AZ409