62 one piece bumpers

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I may catch some heat on this but both 62's I built I was able to use the three piece bumper brackets with the one piece bumpers without any modification to the brackets.

Kevin

Attachments

• Kevin's Brother's car 005.jpg
    Kevin's Brother's car 005.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Kevin's Brother's car 008.jpg
    Kevin's Brother's car 008.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 77

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I may catch some heat on this but both 62's I built I was able to use the three piece bumper brackets with the one piece bumpers without any modification to the brackets.

Kevin

Very good to know Kevin, I was told they were different.. I have not installed mine yet and was looking for some brackets to use.

BTW, very nice car!

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dual quad Rat......................cool Kevin. The one piece California bumpers sure do look good :beerbang

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have 4 sets of california bumpers. Two are on cars two are not. All of them have two chrome bumper bolt holes/one on each bracket for the front bumper only. - The bumper brackets are the ones that attach to the frame.
These chrome bolt holes are attached to the upper portion of the brackets and are on the top of the one piece bumpers. The bumper brackets have an extra 90 degree mounting surface with a hole in them for the bumper bolts that the 3 piece bumper brackets do not have.

Two of the sets I have were on California cars that came from California, I rechromed them restored the bumper brackets and reinstalled them on my cars.
The only difference on all the front and rear brackets I noted was the to chrome bolt holes I noted above. Maybe there where different types of one piece bumpers?

The holes in the top of the bumpers are square factory holes for the bumper bolts.
My web site with the " My 62 HT" (409 car) has a closeup of the california front bumper showing the bumper bolt holes on the top of the front bumper.

Paul Stensland

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
One piece envy!

Paul:

Darn the luck!

I have an original 1962 SS California car (VN on the trim tag) but it came (when I purchased it) with three piece bumpers :(. Since the car had lots of dents and dings (original paint) I figured the bumpers were replaced years ago...

Wish I had a set of those one piece bumpers for the 62!

I do have a set of one piece bumpers for the 1961, and I do believe those brackets are different from the three piece units. Plans are to put them on a "non CA" vehicle.

Cheers!
TomK

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
bumpers

The "My 62 HT " the white 409 car came with 3 piece bumpers. It was a late June or July (VN body) 62. I added the one piece bumpers to the car when it was restored. I sold this car about 5 years ago.

Paul

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
OK here is what happened, my 62 was a july built car in LA with 3 piece bumpers. I purchased one piece bumpers and being youge at the time, thought the holes were for the grille guard. I had them filled in and used the three piece brackets not knowing any different. It worked out great and when we did my brothers cars I did the same thing. If you look at his bumpers there are no bolts where there should be as said by Paul. Hey Paul. That is the story.

Kevin

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
bumpers

Kevin,
I like your bumpers without the holes better. The bumper bolts on top detract from the clean look of one piece bumpers.

Paul