'62 PS change over to 605 gear issue

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
As long as I had the engine out of the car, I decided to repair the factory PS. Once I checked into replacing with original, I decided to do the 605 upgrade. The problem I ran into is with the adapter bracket I got from Show Cars. The hole pattens for both the gear and frame are off enough to make it very difficult to install. Once I had it on the frame, the shim kit for the sway bar doesn't move that down far enough to clear the bracket and it binds on the pitman shaft at the same time. Now I still have the original '78 Malibu pitman arm on, as my 2 jaw puller doesn't seem to have enough strength to remove it. I left it with a LOT OF pressure overnight and will see shortly, if it popped off after sitting. If not, I'll have to rent a real arm puller while out getting a correct arm from Jody at National Impala in Mpls.
Anyone else have fitment problems with this and how did you solve it ?

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
There is a member, that is selling a rebuilt 605 box, with Adapter, Pitman Arm, Draglink etc. Don't know, if it's still For Sale.:dunno His name, is Walt Ogden. His ad, is in the For Sale section.:clap

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On my '64 when we were under construction (a 10 year project) I had to use the pitman arm from the '64 std. steering box according to the instructions in the kit. The factory sway bar was replaced with an aftermarket larger unit and it did require a 3/8 spacer by the box to get below the conversion bracket for the box and still be above the pitman arm. Is there a big difference between the old and the new pitman arm in your installation?
I have a complete air ride system in my project car and seem to always be making changes. Recently acquired the Global West steering gear set up and just finished installing that. A quality product, I have been very impressed with it so far. The radiator deal though was a little disappointing. The Delphi box requires a notched radiator. ordered one from a vendor who knew we had a '64 and then after it was received found out that it is made to fit the '63 radiator support! as they don't offer a unit for the '64. Nice! Had to make some 1/2 inch standoffs to get it to clear the support and it turned out well but was a bit more work. And that is how it goes with hot rodding as they say. Off to the alignment shop, good luck with your project.