62 Sport Coupe, 409/409, need generator

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
2nd time this year we took the bubbletop out. all went well until I pulled into the garage and the generator light would not go out, even with key off. So I get out and open the hood and the found smoke coming out of the gen. Long story on the car but the gen body had a 7/72 stamp on the body and no numbers in the number plate. Which stands to reason, cause that is when they finished the redo on the drag car. Now trying to find a generator is like finding a needle int he hay stack. I found WAY too many part numbers every where with a google search. Can't seem to zero in on a real solid part number. Sorry for making to darn long of a story but does anyone have an idea? Thanks

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If you are not into number matching and date codes, look into POWER MASTER alternators .
They make a one wire alternator that looks just like the black tube generator.

Dave

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Unfortunately I am into numbers, this car is a near numbers matching car with 4800 mi. Would like to stay close to what it is. I know the gen is not matching but back then, they were not into numbers matching. In my opinion.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
Reverse current relay in voltage regulator stuck in the closed position allowing battery current to flow backwards, hard to find a good regulator these days, if you have an original Delco still in good working order better to keep it.

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Just a suggestion, repost to here. That ay it will be an updated post to a similar thread. Or send me the pics and I post them here.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
2nd time this year we took the bubbletop out. all went well until I pulled into the garage and the generator light would not go out, even with key off. So I get out and open the hood and the found smoke coming out of the gen. Long story on the car but the gen body had a 7/72 stamp on the body and no numbers in the number plate. Which stands to reason, cause that is when they finished the redo on the drag car. Now trying to find a generator is like finding a needle int he hay stack. I found WAY too many part numbers every where with a google search. Can't seem to zero in on a real solid part number. Sorry for making to darn long of a story but does anyone have an idea? Thanks
You need a Delco 1102268. Does your gen have the big rear bearing end plate? If so, it may be a rebuilt/service replacement without the data plate.

Cast iron front frame with tabs on 1102173 and 1102268

Big bearing end frame on 1102268, 1102173, 1102174

1102174 with rubber bushed front mount

1102164 with aluminum front frame and rubber bushed mount

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Also be aware that there are other big bearing end frames that look similar but have a shorter mounting height. I'll have to go through my notes to get the correct part numbers for the end frames. Sometimes they show up on ebay and the seller doesn't know what they really are for. That's when it is important to know the numbers so you can win the treasure hunt.

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Here is mine....

Attachments

• 2015-08-28 12.54.09.jpg
    2015-08-28 12.54.09.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 2015-08-28 12.54.18.jpg
    2015-08-28 12.54.18.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 2015-08-28 12.54.55.jpg
    2015-08-28 12.54.55.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 2015-08-28 12.55.01.jpg
    2015-08-28 12.55.01.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 58

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
Napa still carries the Echlin voltage regulators (vr122, $65.). I believe they are made in Canada and are high quality. The generators are hard to find because of the big rear bearing and cast iron end frames. This link may help a bit. http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/generator-help.21052/#post-177313

That IS one of the better ones out there but still nowhere near the quality of an original Delco if you can find a good one. I had a transistorized regulator on a breadboard up and working just needed packaged inside the shell of a original regulator housing so it looked stock, got divorced and it went to that back burner, need to get back to it someday, at least that what I keep telling myself.

Last edited:

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Would a truck 409 or 348 generator have the same numbers as a car? (Or be the same size?) I might have a truck one lying around I'll never use.

62BT409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I did land a 1102174 generator off a man in OK. Price was REAL nice. Having shipped to a guy I met at the nationals to go over and we can talk about the date code to put on the gen. Having a problem right now on the regulator...PT# 1119002. But have a solution for that. I have a "pdf" a friend sent to me, a copy of a page from his Delco-Remy book with the list of Gens and Regs and which generator matches up to which regulator. If I can figure how to post it, it is full of nice numbers for full information. But thanks of thinking of it.
SORRY, typed the wrong numbers in :( TOOO many numbers in the last week, they all run together.

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The AMA specs for each year at the GM Heritage Center has those numbers......I have some Delco catalogs that have it too.