'63 409 convertible project car

63stingray

Hello Gang!

I've recently located a '63 SS convertible project car. The owner claims it is a 409, 4-spd, SS Impala car but the engine and trans. are missing. How can I tell if the car was in fact an original 409 car. He tells me that the 409 flags are on the fenders, but anyone can put them on. He is going to send me the vin# and photos of the car as I have not yet seen it. I'm planning on visiting him to see the car but he lives several hundred miles away so I want to be fully educated before I go. I've looked on the 348-409 web-site here and I have some of the numbers and indicators I'll need to help verify it is a SS but I still need info about the engine if it can be verified. Are their any other indicators to help me identify the cars authenticity?

Thanks much for any assistance,
Mike

bobs409

Administrator
Mike,

See the FAQ for ways to identify an SS car.

Nothing in the numbers to identify if it had a 409 originally. You could look for things such as; ballast resistor mounted on firewall w/correct wiring and dash mounted tach. (327/300HP and ALL manual transmission 409 cars came with the dash tachs in 63 and 64. The 327 and 340hp 409 would have had the 6,000 RPM tach and the solid lifter 409's would have had the 7,000 RPM tach)

327 and 409 cars also had the 3/8th fuel line. 409's had they're own unique fan shroud (see 348/409 reference pic area) too.

Probably other things but that's a start...