63 409

Steven Morgan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just found a 1963 409 engine. It has the right numbers on the block heads exhaust manifolds, water pump intake and the carbs are right, stock bore & stroke. It has a set of roller lifter so I assume the cam has been changed. the owner is putting it on a run stand this weekend. WHAT IS IT WORTH

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Like James notes, there are several HP variations within the 1963 409 family.

Assuming it was originally in a passenger car, she could have a suffix such as QB, QA, or QC (there are more). The first designates the 425 horse dual quad setup, the second the 400 horse single 4 barrel version (both these have the so called "big heads", generally the 690s for that year). The QC suffix is the 340 horse lower compression build often used with the powerglide trans and possibly some options such as PS, AC, etc.

The heads will tell the tale. If they are "817" castings you've got the 340 engine. If they are 690s or possibly 583s then you've got the solid lifter builds.

Let us know if you have access and good luck!

TomK

P.S. We all know there were a number of standard shift (3 and 4 speeds) coupled up to 340 horse builds from 1963. All the QA and QB builds were stick shift cars. But we've seen a number of "grocery getters" with a 340 horse 409 and a PG coupled to it...

Last edited:

Steven Morgan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I tried to find the QB QA or QC on the deck pad but the deck has been trued at one time or another. It is supposed to be a 425 hp. The heads are 690's. the block is 3830814. What amazed me was the fact that it had the right carbs, 3361S & 3362S and intake 3814881 and does have the riveted splash shield. There is a 3 digit number on the passenger side of the block near the bell housing 293 I believe that is a casting date. I assume that means Feb,9 63

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
That 293 would be the julian date.This means the 293rd .day of 63, very late 63 production.Are the heads off so you can determine if it's a truck block? Also if that block was a service replacement block there'll be no numbers on the pad.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
That confirms that it's a high perf build, those carbs/intake/heads all point toward that.

Doesn't matter what she was, depending on what cam and what exhaust she gets, it will have a ton of torque and HP :).

Most guys would factor in the costs associated with tearing her down and putting her back together to proper specs with new internal rotating components, gaskets, etc. I'm gonna hazard a guess and say a running passenger engine with the big heads, two four intake with correct carbs would be in the $4K to $6K range. If one "parted it out" you'd have a $2000 block, a $1500 set of heads, and intake and set of correctly numbered carbs worth almost as much as the heads, and then you get all that "tin" such as the oil pan, the timing chain cover, maybe dripper valve covers?

If you thought of it as a solid core, you'd spend $$$ on the rotating assembly (crank/rods/pistons), then rebuilding the 690 heads (another thousand), next those carbs ($500ish?), then spark, and the list goes on...

On the other hand, remember those days when they sold engines for a dollar a cubic inch? I remember my big brother bought a running Pontiac 389 for, you guessed it, $389! So if that engine runs on the stand, sounds good, and he is asking $409 I'd be all over it :) :) :). Didn't Ray get a 409 using that very favorable to the buyer logic?

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If it's for sale and your not interested and the price is 4-6K as mentioned above. I'll buy it a running freshly rebuilt high horse power 814 block motor is 10-15K if done right.

Steven Morgan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
supposed to go on the run stand today. He did pull the heads and the pan just to take a look. It is a car block. I doubt if they start today as the carbs need rebuilt. I think any pair of 600 AFB's would work just to start the motor. I will let you know more later

Steven Morgan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does anyone know where you can find some of the old style carb cleaner? With this new stuff you might as well have a pan of gas and a paint brush. Left them in overnight can't tell any difference.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I haven't seen any carb cleaning solution that was anything like comparible tto the good stuff you mentioned since the mid 80's.We can thank the EPA for this.