63/64 3.36 p case wanted

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Are you doing a numbers matching build? P cases are hard to come by and expensive. No one will look under the car. Do you have a build sheet for the car?

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
One on eBay now . Dated march 9 1964 . 3789812. $329.00 Oregon.$49.00 shipping I seller is bow tie 41. If you don't find it let me know and I can post it here . P case ,no gears or posi.

Jridge1

Well Known Member
I seen the ones on ebay Craigslist and bunch of forums but none on those dates. Also looking for a complete if possible. My axel is dated March 12 looking for p case between november 63 to February 64.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
This is march 9 1964. Is that what you want??? Finding a complete might be hard to find and being any good is next question. Just go for case and put a better posi and gears in it.

Jridge1

Well Known Member
The casting date is usually about 1 to 3 months behind assembly date. That's why I'm looking for one that specific. I'm fine with cruising on the 57 rear for now. Just thought I would put the feelers out

Jridge1

Well Known Member
Found a case but no guts. What is the best replacement gears and posi unit for these cases? If i were to be anal what originally went in the rear? Heard mention of series 3 series 4. What does that mean? Tia

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I put a eaton posi unit and new 3:36 gears in my 63. I used original axles. I also used my original non p case case and ground it out to accept the posi unit. You can do the same with your case ,unless you really want a p case.. If I remember right I got it off e bay from us power train.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The 3 series would be foe a 3 series gear like 3.36 or 3.73.....

The 4 series would be for a 4 series gear like a 4.11 or 4.56.....
The mounting flange for the ring gear is spaced different, as the pinion gear is smaller diameter with a 4 series gear.

Jridge1

Well Known Member
If it were your rear what would you do.
All new guts or rebuild a 3 series posi unit with original gears
Pros?
Cons?