63 -64 return fuel line help

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What actually was the purpose of a fuel return line??? Are they absolutely necessary?? Cars ran for 50 plus years without one. Just wondering, Carmine.

bobs409

Administrator
:goodpost I'd like to know that too. I don't run one on mine, I have that port plugged on the glass filter.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
As we all know, 409's sometimes run hot, in the summer. The gas will actually percolate in the float bowls.:doh The return line, helped relieve some of the pressure, and make starting a HOT engine easier.:clap

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Not meaning to sound stupid, but what did the return line actually return and to where?? Was it vapor or liquid?? Back to the tank?? Where was it captured?? I guess I understand why they did it and I have heard about the return line before, but knew very little about it. Wasn't a return line in later years connected somehow to a charcoal filter, Carmine.

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The sending unit has the 2 fittings designed with the 3/8 feed line and the 5/16 return line on original cars equiped with the return line. Believe it's just on the 63 to 65 409 cars but I could be wrong like my wife says all the time! Ugh

ehernan3

Well Known Member
I'm planning on adding such a return line, so luckily, I found this thread(and read it). I do have an assembly manual that actually shows the routing along the passenger side of the frame, but not in enough detail to show how it was mounted to the frame. I do know the fuel feed line was captured to the frame by clips that also held the brake line to the rear axle. So I'm curious how the factory captured all three lines along the frame. Does anyone have pictures they can share?

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
These were generously posted by Paul some time ago

Good luck

Chip

Attachments

• 39C876F5-1EBA-4B7A-930F-4C0ABD8EB771.jpeg
    39C876F5-1EBA-4B7A-930F-4C0ABD8EB771.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 42
  • F1DECB33-272F-4805-9511-759289F67BE7.jpeg
    F1DECB33-272F-4805-9511-759289F67BE7.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 43553C52-85DA-4BCE-9D80-25CCF78EC232.jpeg
    43553C52-85DA-4BCE-9D80-25CCF78EC232.jpeg
    68.4 KB · Views: 43
  • AD7DEC8D-5A29-490B-B1D4-7B62F44E28CC.jpeg
    AD7DEC8D-5A29-490B-B1D4-7B62F44E28CC.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 43

ehernan3

Well Known Member
I have another question about fuel/brake lines: I just got mine delivered from ShowCars. Understandably, the longest lines were bent to fit them in the shipping box. What's the recommended method/technique for unbending them? Of course, I don't want to introduce kinks or unwanted bends or, worst case, break the new lines :confused. Should I just use my hands? A tool? A clamp/vise with soft jaws to hold it/slowly unbend it?

427John

Well Known Member
Thats how I did mine, it came with 2 pieces of tape wrapped around the line and a note to make it straight between the tapes, once I got fairly straight I put it on the corner of a flat work table and tapped it with a plastic mallet while rolling it to make it as straight as possible.

ehernan3

Well Known Member
Researching a bit more, I found the reference pictures I was looking for, showing all three: fuel supply, fuel return, and brake lines, from (gasp) another forum:

These match what I find in the assembly manual for '63, but I find these particular drawings lacking sufficient detail. I think when I'm finished, I will post mine.

Hoyt99

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That pesky return line is one piece and about 10 miles long - there may be a way to replace it with the body still on the frame, but I sure couldn’t figure out how I could do it in my garage. I recall that I had to cut mine, and reattach it, in order to deal with it as it snaked between the body and frame on the rear passenger side.

ehernan3

Well Known Member
@Hoyt99 , yeah, no kidding! I made the mistake of unbending it first in my excitement, then had to figure out how to store it in the garage before I got the opportunity to install it :facepalmI had to hang it from the rafters.

But now it's installed. Here's a video where I give a short tour of my frame. Well, it's 15 minutes, but I'm long winded. Anyway, you'll see the part where I describe how I routed the return line:
. Like all of the reproduction lines I've bought, it needed some massaging after undoing the 'box bends'. I also referenced the link two entries above for guidance.

Those of you with the 1963 Assembly Manual can follow along. I did use the return line clips sourced from ShowCars.

Later, I will write an organized post with photos and close ups