63-64 tilt column cut out .

Astro409

Well Known Member
I'm too young and with little knowledge to know the right answer but this is like the 3rd I see on eBay.:dunno

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Its 100% factory! Thats one way to check for an original tilt-with-tach car. If you don't have that little, trapazoid-shaped hole the lower cover for the column won't mount correctly. You can kind of "make it work" but it will never be quite right. To find one of those is very tough to do! The lower part of the tach housing fits into that hole.

Also, one thing you would need to know if you ever decide to put a tilt in your 63 or 64 is that they are NOT the same column! The 63 steering wheel has a larger hub, 4" to be exact. The 64 is a little smaller. This applies to the other non-tilt columns, too. If you lay them side by side its pretty obvious. And another thing is if you want a tilt, also make sure you get ALL of the parts the go on the engine side of the fire wall. They are unique to a tilt set up. I think that the shaft cold be made from a non-tilt steering column. and the couplers could maybe be had from a few spare rag joints, but it would be tough to do. You'd need a good machinist with the right lathe tools to get it done.

Ross

super sport

Well Known Member
thanks for the info impalaguru . i did not know that the 63 and 64 tilts where different . that explaines why that tilton ebay did'nt make the reserve . thanks super sport:beerbang

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Actually, a 64 tilt is alot easier to find than a 63. I thought that it was bid high enough. It was no where near ready to install. Its a rare part that doesn't pop up very much.
Ross

pauls63409

Supporting Member 1
I have a automatic tilt for my 63 from a 64. I have dash tack. When I went to put in was I suprised!:eek: I had to notch out column sleeve for it to fit properly. Then I had to move trans indicator forward and to do that I had to file indcator pointer back far enough to clear trans indicator. There is enough light from the tack to elluminate trans indicator. It was just one thing after another but it came out beautiful and fools alot of people:brow I thought it would be just a bolt in, who knew?:dunno Was able to use my old steering wheel but needed a tilt signal canceller. Glad I did it but I will know better next time.:)

pauls63409

Supporting Member 1
I have a automatic tilt for my 63 from a 64. I have dash tack. When I went to put in was I suprised!:eek: I had to notch out column sleeve for it to fit properly. Then I had to move trans indicator forward and to do that I had to file indcator pointer back far enough to clear trans indicator. There is enough light from the tack to elluminate trans indicator. It was just one thing after another but it came out beautiful and fools alot of people:brow I thought it would be just a bolt in, who knew?:dunno Was able to use my old steering wheel but needed a tilt signal canceller. Glad I did it but I will know better next time.:)

Sorry, it is a 63 column not a 64.

Astro409

Well Known Member
I was looking at this tilt steering wheel and remembered this post. But it has no cut.:doh Does it make it an add on tilt or an add on tach?:dunno Most likely but I don't mind getting one for my future project.:brow

72b0_1.jpg

65e7_0.jpg