63 Horn

Kaycee

Well Known Member
OK Can not for the life of me figure this out ,I have no idea how this horn is suppose to ground out when installed. I can put the metal ring and plastic ring on and ground it out to steering nut horn works ,put the outer plastic ring and metal bar that holds center chrome piece and get nothing how does this ground out ?? Can some one please post a pic ??

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The cylindrical piece of plastic that goes through the wheel makes the contact. It has a piece of copper or brass on each end and a spring in the middle, when you press the horn ring, it compresses it and makes the ground.

Kaycee

Well Known Member
I got power there and then the contact ring then I lose it because of the 2 plastic pieces , god this is getting on my nerves:poke it just not making cense to me

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
If you painted your steering wheel, make sure, the area where the horn contact touches, is clean metal.:clap

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
DISASSEMBLING 1963 IMPALA STEERING WHEEL - LayItLow.com
If i remember right the metal disc wafer should be curved down, but i could be wrong on that Also what skip said make sure the metal on steering wheel is nice and clean . when you press the bar the metal disc hit's the contact button and hit's the steering metal below disc and ground's and complete's the circuit.Make sure the turn signal round contact is clean also.Make sure the button with spring has tension to hit metal wafer,you should see a spot on wafer where it was hitting , then you know it is oriented right ,wafer down or facing up.

Last edited:

Kaycee

Well Known Member
:bowYeah that was it cleaned it up and battery is dead SHEESH give me a break. I could hear relay click so think I'm good to go thanks to you guys. Will try again later tomarrow ,THANKS ALOT FOR THE HELP :winner