63 Impala - brake issues

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You should be able to Rock left side axle the backlash amount between gears and spider gears If not no slack at all i would say that axle bearing is locked up . If No slack just pull axle and check bearing ,and go from there .

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
You should be able to Rock left side axle the backlash amount between gears and spider gears If not no slack at all i would say that axle bearing is locked up . If No slack just pull axle and check bearing ,and go from there .
Don - I am able to “rock” the driver’s side axle back and forth, but that’s it. The unit won’t turn more than that small amount of “play”.

Reactions: 327

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Ok just have on stands and run in 1st gear idling see what it does. Wheels on of off since you have posi .also leave in neutral and engine off see of you can turn drive shaft by hand and wheel both will turn forward or backward depending which way turning drive shaft.

Eric Kozmic

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Ok just have on stands and run in 1st gear idling see what it does. Wheels on of off since you have posi .
I’m a little “leary“ about it being on jack stands & running the car. (Probably because I’ve never done it before.) If I locate the jack stands underneath each side of the axle, would that work?

My jack won’t work under the differential. It’s too far underneath the car & I can’t operate the jack.

Well Known Member
YOUR CHART IS WRONG. AND THE CORRECT TORQUE IS 100 FT LBS WITH OUT LUBRICANT.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I had new tires put on wifes car at wall mart. I watched and they put lubricant on every vehicle wheel lugs they remove wheels. They also had two different persons check wheel torque .Not sure what it was looks like antisieze when i had wheel's off to check brakes.

Well Known Member
ALL OF MY CARS HAVE ALWAYS HAD THE WHEELS TORQUED TO 100 FT LBS . WITHOUT NO LUBE AND NO PROBLEMS.