63 Impala fuel system upgrade

Deadwolf

Well Known Member
I'm getting my shopping list together for redoing the fuel system on my 63 impala with 283 and a 2 barrel. My plan is Stainless steel tank and lines with everything new to a rebuilt carburetor. Have to make some changes so the fuel system is ready for ethanol as the car was never built for that. Eventually I want to put a 409 in the car. The parts books list a simple sending unit without a return line for the 283 as well as a 5/16" fuel line and a fuel pump without a return line.

Since I don't want to do this twice can I get the sending unit with 3/8" fuel line and 1/4" return along with the 3/8" front to rear fuel line and 1/4" return and the 327/409 Hi performance fuel pump with the return line and use all that on my 2 barrel 283? I don't think the additional flow possibilities will harm the 2 barrels carburetors performance and everything I see, seems to indicate the fuel pump for "W" motors is the same as small blocks in basic design.

Was GM just saving money by putting a lower flow fuel system on the 283 2 barrels or was it their for some other reason that I am missing?